connecting to school server

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Super20, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Super20 macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2004
    Council Bluffs, IA
    I have a brand spanking new 15" powerbook with Superdrive. I also just purchased the new Air Tunes Express. I work in a school that is all PC (except for our grading program made by Apple). The school uses a Windows server that requires me to log on with a special username and password. I know that my small-minded tech guy at school will tell me he can't do it (more likely...won't do it). How do I connect up to this thing? If I need more info, I can find it out. There is a firewall program but I don't know what it's called. ANy ideas? :confused:
  2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are going to have to find the address of the server. Then hit command+k and type it in. At my school, it was 172.20.0. something. The internet access and access to your files are usually separate. Good luck, and try not to let them find you.
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What do you need to do on the network? Most likely you just plug in your computer and you'll see everything on the network in the Network section of Finder. You'll probably need your username/password to access specific computers on the network.

And you're right, the IT guy will probably tell you that your Mac is incompatible. They love to do that. Odds are you'll have to do do nothing more than plug your computer into the network.
  4. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Ok I am going to take a stab at this based on my knowledge of my routers. I have not used an Airport Express thus I am not familiar with the set-up...take this for what it's worth.

Why not clone the MAC address of your Powerbook to the AP Express? Then the server will think that you are logging in from your computer and not a router. I mean with an Airport Express you still have to submit a user name and password to your ISP right?