Connecting to the internet from nowhere

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by M. Malone, Apr 2, 2004.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    Hello all, I have a poerbook g4 (Aluminum), yesterday I was in my car and had to send an e-mail, it was an emergency, but had no internet, it got me thinking, is there a way I could've pulled my car over, turned on my powerbook and connected to the internet from the middle of nowhere, what options do I have, if any, enlighten me. thanks.
  2. jMc macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2001
    London N8, Late-16th Century
    May I suggest a mobile phone with bluetooth... that would work anywhere you could get reception.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I have been looking into this myself. If anyone can provide some answers for me I would appreciate it. If I go with T-Mobile, do I need the T-Zones package and can I dump my dial-up ISP by using the T-Zones. I know it won't be fast, but I will be getting high-speed through my home owners association soon and I just need to get by with checking email and the like.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    yeah, using a cell phone as a modem and connecting to a dialup internet would be about the only option... (of course, if all you need to do is send an email, you can just call the person on the cell phone..?)

...unless you can string together a computer-to-computer network all the way to one computer that is connected to the internet. :D
  5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    Ok I have ATT Wireless and a bluetooth phone...are you telling me that I can connect to the internet with only using my minutes? if so, I need details please. I have heard of connecting using GPRS KBs, which costs too much, if I can connect with only the use of my minutes, I would be able to connect at nights and weekends for free, enlighten me please
  6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    nah..u wd have to take their gprs service...the telephone no. you have to connect to is *99***1# i called them and they said i cant connect to my isp's number..
  7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003