Connecting to the net help....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phildexter, Aug 23, 2004.

1. phildexter macrumors member

I have OSX running on my powerbook, and as I'm not familiar with connecting to the net using an Apple computer, firewalls, etc. I'm a bit apprehensive about going online. I'd be connecting via broadband, which has caused my poor PC hell so far. If anyone can offer any adivice on whether I might need to get a firewall or whether OSX own is any good it would be much apprecitated :) Thanks - Phil

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've used broadband with a Macintosh for 5 years now without any problems. I use the built in firewall and it seems just fine along with the built in security I have with my router.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

OS X has a built in firewall that you can turn on in Sharing.

As for connecting? What are you tied into? A router? Or the DSL modem directly? (Or cable modem)

If it's the DSL modem you want to go to System Prefs -> Network and choose PPPoE connection and enter your correct information. From there you can connect through that or via Internet Connect in your Applications folder.

If you're tied to the router, just plug in the Ethernet cord, go to System Prefs -> Network and this time choose TCP/IP and set it for DHCP settings, and you should be automatically connected, assuming the router is already set up.

Hope that helps.

4. phildexter thread starter macrumors member

Ah sounds good then :) do I need to configure my firewall or anything? or can I just literally install my broadband software and away I go? Thanks for the info though :)

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If you're connecting straight to the DSL modem you won't even need the software, which is usually just a connection client through PPPoE.

Use the way I mentioned, it's much easier.

As for the wall, it's in Sys Prefs -> Sharing -> Firewall.

From there you can specify ports to block.

6. phildexter thread starter macrumors member

Well I have broadband at the moment on my PC connected using USB, but there is an Ethernet port also, which I was going to use for my powerbook, and just switch between the two, just having those two leads, one USB to the PC and the other to my powerbook, Ethernet, but obviously only using one at a time, I never have my pc and mac on at the same time. :)

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You shouldn't even need the Firewall on the Mac because there are no real viruses or security issues that the firewall protects you from. The ethernet plug should work fine, but when switching between the USB and ethernet on the modem you may need to reset the modem (unplug the power and plug back in) so that it realizes the switch.

8. phildexter thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks guys! - Excellent help. I'm really new to Apple software, it took me an hour just to change the clock time, lol. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

No prob, you can drop me a PM if you like, if you have any other questions.