Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxfan626

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I have a 45 inch HD TV, and I've ripped all my DVDs with Handbrake to the Apple TV preset. If I want to connect my iPad to my TV and watch these videos on my TV, should I get the VGA adapter, composite cables, or Component cables? What are the pros and cons of each for my situation? Thanks.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a 45 inch HD TV, and I've ripped all my DVDs with Handbrake to the Apple TV preset. If I want to connect my iPad to my TV and watch these videos on my TV, should I get the VGA adapter, composite cables, or Component cables? What are the pros and cons of each for my situation? Thanks.

Component will give you an arguably better picture than composite cables, but in my case, even though my two large LCD TVs have multiple component inputs, as well as 3 HDMI, etc., all of these are taken up with existing electronics, so I had to settle on composite cables. Of course, if you want to go the component, or VGA route, I am sure somebody on here will be happy to steer you in the right direction.

I ordered mine off of Ebay...at WAY less than half of price of what Apple wants...and they work flawlessly. I even ordered a second set to take with me while travelling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310235549070

redsoxfan626

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Component will give you an arguably better picture than composite cables, but in my case, even though my two large LCD TVs have multiple component inputs, as well as 3 HDMI, etc., all of these are taken up with existing electronics, so I had to settle on composite cables. Of course, if you want to go the component, or VGA route, I am sure somebody on here will be happy to steer you in the right direction.

I ordered mine off of Ebay...at WAY less than half of price of what Apple wants...and they work flawlessly. I even ordered a second set to take with me while travelling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310235549070

Thanks, just one more question: I know the component cables can display a picture in 480p or 576p, while the VGA adapter plays in 720p (I think). All of my videos are in 480p, as they are all DVD rips. So, if I play a 480p movie with component cables, it would obviously come out in 480p, but would the VGA adapter upconvert it (like playing a DVD in a Blu-ray player vs. a DVD in a DVD player)?

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks, just one more question: I know the component cables can display a picture in 480p or 576p, while the VGA adapter plays in 720p (I think). All of my videos are in 480p, as they are all DVD rips. So, if I play a 480p movie with component cables, it would obviously come out in 480p, but would the VGA adapter upconvert it (like playing a DVD in a Blu-ray player vs. a DVD in a DVD player)?

I'm no sure, but I don't think that the VGA upconverts. The VGA gives you 1024 by 768 with bars at the top, bottom and sides.

Here's an interesting discussion of the VGA Adapter...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2569292&tstart=-1

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe

The differences in image quality are not so high between Composite and Component when you watch video. VGA seems to have best image quality but it transmits no sound (extra cable needed @ headphone out what's not optimal), you cannot charge iPad or iPhone during VGA output (okay that's more important with iPhone). The original Apple cables come shipped with a complete power supply and you can charge the device while playing video. Consider this if you plan to buy an iPhone maybe sometimes (I don't know maybe you have one already).

You can plug the Composite cable in almost each old hotel TV set of this beautiful world, but not all sets by far have Component or VGA inputs. So if you might use the video out function not only at home consider this. I am using Apple Composite AV cable since almost two years now. Here you have some photos and a video demo.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The differences in image quality are not so high between Composite and Component when you watch video. VGA seems to have best image quality but it transmits no sound (extra cable needed @ headphone out what's not optimal), you cannot charge iPad or iPhone during VGA output (okay that's more important with iPhone). The original Apple cables come shipped with a complete power supply and you can charge the device while playing video. Consider this if you plan to buy an iPhone maybe sometimes (I don't know maybe you have one already).

You can plug the Composite cable in almost each old hotel TV set of this beautiful world, but not all sets by far have Component or VGA inputs. So if you might use the video out function not only at home consider this. I am using Apple Composite AV cable since almost two years now. Here you have some photos and a video demo.

I got the composite cables intended for the iPad off of Ebay and they work like a charm. If anybody wants the link to the seller, let me know. I understand that some of these third-party cables don't work. The ones I bought work great, and, in fact, I bought a second set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.