connecting to wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rassac, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rassac macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i need a little here. I'm having difficulty connecting to my girlfriend's wireless network. In fact the only wireless network i've ever successfully connected to is my own at home. When i try to connect, it asks me to enter her password, which i do and then tells me that there was an error connecting to network. What confuses me most is that i'm connected to her broadband now using an Ethernet cable. She has BT broadband and a BT router. Could anyone tell me where i'm going wrong? I'd really appreciate any help you can give.

thanks.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

The issue here is that the AirPort software doesn't like certain routers with WEP enabled. Many D-Link routers just simply won't connect with WEP enabled.

If you want a way around this, enable MAC Address filtering and disable WEP. MAC Address filtering is more secure anyways. If you want to go even more secure, disable broadcasting. So anyone who wants to connect to it would have to know the exact name of the wireless router to even try to connect to it. If you have MAC Address filtering enabled and they try to connect, if their MAC Address isn't in the list of supported computers for that router, then it won't connect.

3. Stadsport macrumors regular

MAC addresses are transmitted in plain text and can be dummied in about 15 seconds.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well if you don't broadcast the signal and enable MAC filtering then you're pretty damn safe. WEP can just as easily be cracked. If you don't believe me, just come to my road and sit outside my house. You'll be there a while trying to figure out how to get in. True, once the MAC address is figured out, your network is wide open, but isn't easily obtained if the signal isn't broadcasted and you don't use a generic name for the router.