connecting two macs remotely over internet connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

May 20, 2005

i am trying to connect my macbook pro to my dad's iMac over the internet (both running tiger 10.4.8) so that we can share files. i have got his ip address,, and then in finder choose go>connect to server and enter this ip address. then i get a couple of windows coming up, one of which says 'connecting to server' and the other 'afp connection status' which says looking up ''. this runs for a while, then i get a 'connection failed. the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. check the server name or IP address and try again'.

i can connect to his computer for an ichat video link, so not sure what is going wrong here. both macs have all the services and firewall exclusions checked under 'sharing' in system prefs.

can anyone suggest what i need to do to get this working? i am connected to the internet through a router, so i am not sure if i need to change some setting for the router/forward ports.

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
  3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Do your computers have Sharing Preferences (in System Preferences) configured? You need to turn on Personal File Sharing and/or FTP Access. After that you might have to port forward to access your computer from outside your network. Depending on what protocol you're using to share port 21 for FTP and port 5900 for remote login.