Connecting with Airport

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chrisfryer, Mar 9, 2004.

1. chrisfryer macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've used my airport extreme card no problem with a wireless ethernet connection but I am now having problems setting up the card to use an alternative one.
    I can get signal from the wireless base station, which is an ntl one i think:
    http://www.ntlwireless.co.uk/routerspec.htm
    I can see a good signal reception.
    However, I cannot actually use the connection: An error message appears telling me that Safari cannot access 'the server.'
    I believe my problem might be that Airport cards have a fixed IP number which is preventing the DHCP server from allocating it a number, which I believe is how most wireless networks function(?)
    Changing the settings to set the IP address manually does not seem to help.
    Any ideas anyone? Am I just being stupid and missing something obvious like needing to register with the ISP?
    Thanks!

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

If it is like a Linksys, you will need to drop the transmission rate to 1-2Mbps in order for it to connect.

I have an 802.11b Linksys router, and I could get an IP, but couldn't get traffic to cross the wireless link. After lowering the transmission rate, all is well.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

did you do the update for the air port extreme? that cleared up some of my connection issue with wpa. i would connect to wap but i couldn't do anything. powercycle your airport and your base station. i.e. turn them on and off. leave the base station off for awhile.

as to registering with the isp it depends. if you just used your mac to connect to the internet before you base station, you would probably need to register your base station MAC address. usually what happens though in that case the system will let you connect for awhile then about an hour later it will start kicking you. this is due to the fact so the techie has time to register you online.

your base station does have a fix ip, but it shouldn't prevent you from getting on the network. all base station have fix ip for the internal network. are you actually getting an ip address?

try chaning the channel on your base station as well. 1,6,11 (i think) are the non overlapping channels.

4. chrisfryer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, will give those ideas a try next time I'm where the network is.
    -- Chris

5. dudeami macrumors regular

You are not stating very many details here. It could be WPA initialization password that is not allowing you to use the wireless network, or the wireless router only allows certain MAC addresses to use its network, etc.

However have you installed the Airport software update 3.3.1? If not I would try updating to that version as it specifically addresses an issue with Aiport cards moving between different wireless networks.

Also if you have hard-coded the address, this wouldn't work if the wireless diveces are on two different networks, they would have to be bridged for this to work, or both using the same internal networks like 192.168.1.0.

As far as the Safari issue, this may not indicate wether or not you are not on their network. That error could also be caused by not being able to resolve a name through DNS or by using an invalid gateway.

6. chrisfryer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i think the problem is that when I set the dhcp config to manual and type in an IP address, i cannot connect because i get the error message "airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet" but if I use DHCP then airport does not seem to be picking up the correct DHCP from the server, which I think should be 198.162.1.0. Like i say, i cant just set it manually. Any ideas?