Connection at school

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tinydragon123, May 12, 2006.

1. tinydragon123 macrumors member

Hi,

I was at school today and in one room, I tried connecting to the school's internet on my iBook. However, I kept getting an error message in Safari each time I opened my browser. Strangely, my friends with their windows laptops are able to connect to the school's internet but I can't.

When I went into another classroom, I automatically got a connection in it.

Is there something wrong with my iBook and it's wireless internet connection? I thought the iBook was able to connect to any wireless connection but I cannot get internet connection in some rooms. All my other friends can but I can't and it kind of make me feel like my iBook is lesser than the PCs at school.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Sometimes I hafta open internet connect (as opposed to doing the simple click of the airport icon & choosing the network). See if that works :)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Does you school have any wireless security? What is Safari telling you?

Are you connected to the school's network and the internet just won't work, or can you not connect at all?

4. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

I kept seeing "Safari can’t open the page “http://livepage.apple.com/” because your computer isn’t connected to the Internet."

But for my status, it says I am connected to UCSD's internet and the signal bars are full. But somehow, I can't connect to my home page or any other site.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I know at some schools you have to register with the IT dept. to use the wifi. is that the case for you?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They probably have you blocked in some way. As adk hinted at, contact your IT department.

7. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

But I have the username and password for the internet. my friend who brought his averetec to school signed in with my account and it worked for him. At first I thought my account expired, when I found out that it didn't when I signed in for him.

I even went to where he was sitting to see if I could get internet access but nothing, even though my signal status was high and said it was connected to my school's internet.

And what's weird is in network under system preferences, it said I my ISP failed and my server failed. But how can it when my friend's PC worked?

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

isnt ucsd resnet a bit anal about how you use your connection? might be a mac address only thing, I dont know.

9. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with my school's wireless too. One thing that might work is if you go to the airport bar, click "other", and retype in the informatino for the wireless connection. I fixed the problem of having to retype everything in each time myself, but I forget how I did it. I think I changed something in the Airport settings about connecting automatically, but I'm not completely sure.

10. tinydragon123 thread starter macrumors member

All righty. I'll try it that.

Thank you everyone for your help. I REALLY appreciate it and taking your time to help me.