Connection Help for xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ashapalan, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I have a USB modem to connect to broadband.

With my PC i used to simply plug an ethernet between the pc and xbox, and just turn the internet on, and i could go on xbox live just like that...

I now use a mac.

How do i configure the mac to allow me to do the same thing? Please help, i havent played for ages and hear there are new maps...

2. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, looks like im going to have to pic up a cheap pc to get onto xbox live. Thought id get away without one.
    I have never found networking hard, but a mac has shown me just what a minefield it is.

mac for everything, but networking.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Actually, you might want to wait more than 33 minutes before you give up on getting a response.

There is an Internet Sharing option inside the Sharing control panel in System Preferences. You could try turning that on and then seeing if your Xbox can talk through your Mac to the Internet.

4. andylane macrumors newbie

There's a message on MacOSX Hints that explains how to do it. Here's the link:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041112101646643

It talks about sharing a Wireless connection (I do this, and it works perfectly), but it should work for a USB modem, too, assuming it shows up in the Internet Sharing box in System Preferences.

5. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

That site looks as though it will work. I'll give it a try, thanks a lot.

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I had trouble with the ps2. The problem is not with the mac but with the settings of the xbox. Just manually input the numbers in your ps2 and i assume the xbox.

1. enable internet sharing in system preferences. (mac done that easy)

2. Now you need the to grab the the numbers to input into your xbox. The ip address can be found in the system profiler. get to it by apple icon- about this mac and then more info or utilities folder. then in system profiler click on the network pane where it will list the ip number.

Now you need to grab the two dns numbers. this comes from your isp. To find this info check the faq section of the isp web site or call them.

3. go to setup the ps2 or xbox and do manual configuation. Input the ip and dns when asked and any other qustions such as username and password.

Your done. Took me forever to find out how to do this.

I hope it works for you, reply if it has. Goodluck

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    OR just go buy a router and don't worry about messing with cross-over cables and networking preferences...

8. sicc macrumors newbie

Can you guys please tell me if i can connect to the xbox with the following
    osx 10.2.8
    comcast cable internet
    un- modded xbox
    transmit ftp

I'm not sure which cable I have to use, I assume it's the cable that goes from my modem into the mac. So that means that I won't be able to connect to my xbox through the internet. Can I use the directions given by DeSnousa with the stuff described above? All I really want to do is transfer mp3's to my Xbox and gear it up with music for GTA San Andreas which comes out for Xbox in a little less than a week

Thanks in advance

9. sicc macrumors newbie

just to make myself clear, i don't want to connect my xbox in order to play xbox live, i just want to transfer some mp3 files. and i'm wondering whether this can be done with an un-modded xbox and whether it can be done at all

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Quick tip.

NEVER USE USB FOR NETWORKING!

Always use, if possible, Ethernet.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not always possible sadly :( I have a friend with an old PC. No built in Ethernet. Only two PCI slots- one for the graphics card, one for the sound card/modem hybrid. Can't remove either.

"lucky" for him he's on dialup. If he gets broadband it'll have to be USB.

12. sicc macrumors newbie

so is it possible to connect a non-modded xbox just to transfer songs?

13. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I agree. USB for networking is awful. I would ask the ISP to provide you with a Ethernet base Modem.