connection ping??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jplg842, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jplg842 macrumors regular

Hello. i want to switch to mac very soon. i have a question.
    on my pc im used to ping in the ip of my connection to check the connection stats, in the run i write "ping ip -t" , how can i do that on a mac?

Thank you

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can ping using Terminal. Or you can use the Network Utility app for a graphical interface for ping and other network diagnostics.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The same command exists in OS X, however, the -t option doesn't exist. Instead, it's the default behavior meaning it will continue until killed by the user with Control+C

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

1. In OS X, -t is the timeout parameter. If I remember correctly, that's -w in Windows, correct?

2. -t in Windows tells it to repeat until the user interrupts the sequence, right? That's the default behavior in OS X.

3. In OS X, if you wanted to limit it to a certain number of echo requests from the start, you'd use -c. This is equivalent to -n in Windows, which defaults to 4 if not specified (hence the need for the -t command to tell Windows to continue indefinitely).

I think I've got that right. Or else I've completely confused myself and everyone else.

5. butaro macrumors regular

unix based so comman line is much more nicer than windows............its actually nice to use compared to windows command prompt