Connectiong Ipod video to TV

Discussion in 'iPod' started by nirvana06, Jan 28, 2006.

1. nirvana06 macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm trying to connect my ipod to TV. I was told that you could use Camcorder AV Cables. I bought it today and it does not want to work.

Here is what i have....

[​IMG]

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

You need a regular a/v cable thats 1/8" connector on 1 end then red/yellow/white combo on the other..

follow this combo then the regular a/v cable will work:

the red cable into yellow port on tv/yellow cable into white port on tv/white cable into red port on tv ..

then you need to set ipod up for 'stream' content to tv .. thats done in the ipod itself ..

Sorry on the location of tv settings are on the Video ipod .. :eek: :eek:

3. croshtique macrumors 6502

Make sure you've set 'TV out' on your iPod to 'on'.

Also you might have to try swapping the cable ends around:
    Plug the red plug into the yellow hole
    Yellow ->white
    White -> Red

4. nirvana06 thread starter macrumors regular

oh okay..that what was wrong. Now it works. Thanks.

5. penguinman macrumors member

penguinman

but isnt the quality of the video too shallow? my friend played The Office from his new 20'' imac and it was pixelated.. 100mb download too!

how will the ipod look on my 52'' WSHD tv?

6. emutree macrumors member

Believe it or not I'm more than happy with the quality of the video from my iPod out to our HD 50" TV. We'd been using a Phillips DVD player before that also played CDs with burnt DivX or XVid videos (but it didn't upconvert them) and shows that I've converted via iSquint to "Optimize for TV" format played off the iPod look on par with those, and a lot better than I was expecting. The Lost ep I bought from the iTMS looked even better. Is it HDTV? Definitely not. Is it DVD? Not quite. But I really like it and feel others underhype the TV output a lot. On my normal 13" TV in my room, the quality is obviously awesome - up to DVD standards. It depends on how good a picture you demand for your viewing.

7. nirvana06 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah..picture is pretty good. I dont know what program you use to convert your files for ipod. But i use http://www.divx-digest.com/software/3gp_converter.html

and it gives me an option as to what quality i want to conver at....if i do it at best quality possible then the picture is very good. Even with the worst possible quality the picture is still okay.