Connectivity Cellphones

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pixels, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Pixels macrumors newbie

Does anyone else out there have the same trouble as I do to:
    • use Bluetooth to connect my Powerbook to the internet via the phone
    • have problems Syncing address / calendar details to the phone.
    Despite having successfully "paired" my phone (Nokia 6310i) every time I try to use the phone to connect to the internet the phone disconnects the link.
    Has anyone simply by-passed this system and successfully used a USB link instead ?
    (Bluetooth still seems a bit gimmicky to me if all it is doing is replacing a 2 foot wire link)
    Likewise the facility of uploading addresses to the phone is very flaky, and there seems to be no way to get an iCal like calendar into the system.

These features are built into the phones/computers to aid functionality but they seem to do just the reverse - create confusion, headache and more instruction books.

My PC user chums (I have some !) seem to have far fewer problems and I really don't think they're that much smarter than I am. (! ?)

Why is this fundamentally straightfoward process so b**!$* difficult ?

Any advice etc etc most welcomed.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have sync working perfectly every time with my phone. But it's not a Nokia. Sony-Ericsson phones seem to work much better for Bluetooth. I've personally never tried to get internet access working. Have you got the correct modem script for your phone? Are you trying to connect over GPRS or simply use the phone as a dial-up modem?

Edit to add: your phone is not on Apple's list of supported devices that can be found here.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i have a SonyEricsson P900 (which has been supercedded by the P910). it does anything, and everything, from brilliant bluetooth/gprs, to running doom and lemmings, and even aim/msn/yahoo/icq clients on it!

it's the best phone i've ever had, and i don't think, despite it being 15 months old now, that i'll be changing it for a good while - there's nothing else that does anything better (either out or winging it's way towards production). i even have an FTP client and a web editor, so i'm sorted for everything.

you can get one from ebay for a pretty good price now, so go for it!

4. Pixels thread starter macrumors newbie

Cellphones

Well that seems to settle it - I guess a Sony Ericsson it has to be.
    Thanks for the info guys and when I finally get the new phone I might come back with questions on how to set it up.
    All these gadgets were supposed to make my life easier but I now spend all my time reading manuals, calling help lines and writing to forums to work out why "it don't do what its says on the box"!
    Rant rant :mad:

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Add me to the 'Sony Ericsson' no-problem crowd.

I've got my k700 working as a Bluetooth modem. Found lots of useful information on these pages http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ - as well as some better scripts.