Connectix Virtual PC 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, Jan 16, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Does this program run games?

I thinking about getting it but am unsure of its capabilites. I want this to save myself some money. I have Office2k and Studio MX and i don't fancy spending more money on those same apps, if CV5 will run them for me.

So will it, and also run games?

EDIT: Would i be able to install a linux distro inside CV5 as well? How good is it really when running applications.

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Well, FYI, version came out a month ago. I don't run games but I don't think games would fly under VPC.

3. dricci macrumors 6502a

Virtual PC 5 and 6 DO NOT support 3D acceleration. Any games that require 3D acceleration would be very slow, probably unusable.

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Hmmm am i splitting hairs if i play games like RailRoad Tycoon or Baldurs gate?

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

It all depends on your computer, i have an iMac 400 and find VPC 6 unusable... i have been hoping to run SimCity 4 in it, but i don't think that's going to happen. :/

pnw

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What about hte programs i mentioned above and linux?

7. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Whats VPC 6 like for surfing the Internet?
    Can you download pc apps and stuff onto your mac?

8. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Almost unbearable doing anything in VPC 6.0.1 on my iMac 500Mhz G3. Though it's 10 times better in OS 9. You can try fiddling with the CPU usage settings in preferences so it can use it heavily (background apps suffer) or moderate/low.

Opening a Windows folder takes around 3/4 seconds :( where as in OS 9 it only needs a second.

You can share files between VPC6 and the Mac OS easily enough. And yeah you can browse the web, slowly though (about the same as IE for OS X ;) )

Whats it like on a dual G4? Any better?

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i played counter strike on my mac with virtual pc 6 and got about 10-15 fps.

iJon

10. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

VPC runs reasonabley on my dual 800. Its starts fairly quickly using xp, surfs the net ok, kinda like running it on a 550mhz celeron, (my friend has one and they seem to do simple task about the same speed), but i tried to play sim city 3000 and its was ugly. So sim city 4 doesnt look good for VPC

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

damn it all. why can't they just release a mac version, for once, i mean people demand it of the sim games. Or a gamecube version, even, i've got a gamecube sitting 5 feet away that never gets used. bah.

maybe SC4 will be out for mac in about 5 years.

:(
    pnw

12. gavingrant macrumors newbie

Mdk

MDK 2 runs slow it needs a graphic card???????

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Reviving (very) old threads isn't always a good idea. Especially if you're doing it just to up your post count.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

He's a newbie. Newbie's are required to revive dead threads and to post irrelevant comments on them.