Conservative TV Group to Air Anti-Kerry Film

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 10, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/2004/complete/la-na-sinclair9oct09,1,2724047.story

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I wonder if any of the liberal networks will be showing Michael Moore films at the same time?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe it's going to be shown on "liberal network" pay-per-view. It's like, you know, a movie. It won't preempt local broadcasting and be called "news."

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Which there is nothing wrong with....

except for the fact that they will probably take what Kerry said out of context while making some very flimsy claims about what Kerrys actions resulted in. So rather than be something I would pay attention to in the hopes of getting some realy information, it will be just another reason to turn off the television and find sources of news and analysis that are as unbiased as possible.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure they will -- it's a propaganda film, apparently. And it will be force-fed into 25% of American homes. This is what happens when the media becomes concentrated in too few hands. Somebody is bound to start thinking like William Randolph Hurst.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there is something very seriously wrong with this, especially if classified as news. normal journalistic standards dictate that a reporter must show both sides of the issue. i somehow doubt sinclair will do this.

further, this is clearly an example of a corporation pushing its own agenda. but rather than use normal outlets such as PACs and lobbyists, normally used to ultimately benefit the company by targetting congressmen, sinclair is undermining its own corporate goals (pre-empting programming) by targeting the same audience to which they normally sell advertising.

how is the public supposed to know what's balanced and what's propaganda? is this merely a glimpse into the future of TV broadcasting?

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Because I am entirely too lazy to register to read the full article, I must ask you IJ:

Does the article state when exactly this movie is to be shown? (day of the week, date) If not, do you know?

Does the article state in which markets this movie will be shown? Which states, cities etc. Just curious of it's potential effacy (ie swing states).

Since Sinclair is a cable television provider (correct?), do many cable subscribers watch the main networks? Or is sinclair merely an owner of affiliates? If it is the latter, then doesn't the Network(s) ultimately decide programming?

Thanks for any clarification here...

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I probably should have included this part of the article, which discusses the scheduling as far as it's known. Sinclair owns broadcast, not cable, stations.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    when i was reading about this in the l.a times today i realized something:

i can no longer be shocked but i can still be saddened.

the abuse of power and access in the u.s. is horrifying. we can cloak our capitalism and democracy in a patriotic flag, but the sad truth is our country's ethics have fallen to a new low.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Folks, this is exactly why the FCC should never have abandoned the Equal Time Doctrine.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's only sad because they won't be airing F911 as well. If they did, we probably couldn't complain. Especially if more people happen to be watching that than this. I wonder how many of those they are trying to reach will watch it over people who have already made up their minds. Will those who are intended to be swayed simply switch to another station to watch something they actually care about, or is more entertaining? Maybe they are counting on this being a controversy to get people interested.

I am already aware of Kerry's shortcomings. It is Bush, and his shortcomings, that have decided my vote. It is not enough to get me to change my mind now, unless they have a lot more than they have shown so far. And even then...

I might watch it, but if it's more of a smear campaign than F911 (which actually had some good points of what Bush is doing right now), it will turn me (and my TV) off.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh yeah, the liberal media strikes again. Where are all our resident conservatives who were so up in arms about the Reagan documentary, the so-called lies of F911, and all their petulant whining about how biased the media is against conservatives. This oughta put that BS to rest. Would a 'liberalmedia' play an anti-Kerry propaganda piece just before an election?

And what would the right-wing response be if programming was pre-empted in the week before an election to show an anti-Bush piece? Would they think that was OK? Yeah RIIIIGHT! Rush Limbaugh's head would spin right off his shoulders.

Anyone who believes theliberalmedia myth needs to explain this.

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

A couple questions.

1) Will viewers be aware that the programming they are watching did not originate from the major networks they are pre-empting? How many viewers are going to assume that NBC is airing the movie when really they had nothing to do with it?

2) Given that they are broadcasting over the public airwaves, isn't the Sinclair company obligated to some level of journalistic standards? Would running this as news violate some FCC regulation pertaining to media equal time in an election year?

Taft