conserve hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drater, Jan 15, 2006.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

hey all, i have only 40gb on my ibook, waiting till i get paid (will be a little while), but wanted to know what i could do to conserve space. I have most of my music and videos on an external...but still seems to be taking up a lot of room on my hard drive...my music library is only 15gb...what the heck is taking up so much space.
    thanks in advance,
    retard

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How much room do you have open? Do you have a lot of app/games installed?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Try removing all the additional languages with DeLocalizer or something similar like Monolingual.

You may get as much as a Gb back...

4. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Clean all history etc, if you have not done it and have been using it for a long time it can add up to gigs ;)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe use an app like OmniDiskSweeper to see where all the space is being used. Also, iLife's Garageband and iDVD take up many GB with loops and themes respectively. If they're not needed, look into removing them. The default Apple files can be reinstalled from the iLife disks later if necessary. :)

6. Subliving macrumors member

Subliving

What bitrate is your music encoded at? You may get away with encoding it a little lower (No lower than 128 AAC though...) and not notice a difference? Depends how into your music you are.

Subliving

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You may also be interested in this thread on how to Make Tiger more responsive. It has some good space-saving tips. :)