Considering a Computer Replacement...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ayre, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Ayre macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2003
    I'm going off to college in the fall, and recently I've had the option of selling my G4 Cube. There's an interested buyer in the area that my dad knows that wants to buy it and the CRT monitor (A Samsung SyncMaster 753df) for 500 dollars. With my graduation money, the sell of this computer and monitor would give me about $950 to play around in.

    My original plan was to replace my ugly CRT with a new LCD monitor so that I don't have to lug the CRT off to college, but I realized that if I sold my Cube, I could potentially use the money and my graduation money for a new eMac, or maybe a new iMac, which would solve my monitor woes, and give me a quicker computer to use at college.

    However, the buyer wants this computer after my family and I get back from vacation on July 5th. I know that the WWDC is in a few days -- should I go for the early buy of a new eMac (since those were recently updated), or is there a strong chance of a G5 iMac announcement that would bump the G4 iMac prices down to a more manageable level?
  2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

    Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    Can't really advise you on what might be announced at WWDC, it's all rumors and wishes right now. Best to see what comes out then since the buyer is waiting until after it anyway. Why get worked up over speculation?
  3. rueyeet macrumors 65816


    Jun 10, 2003
    A Cube and monitor for $500? That's excellent; I haven't seen any Cubes (even without monitor) go for less than $700 lately.

    I'd love a Cube, but I have no justification for a third computer, and would have to upgrade it anyway.... :(
  4. macnews macrumors 6502a


    May 12, 2003
    I wouldn't count on any new imacs or emacs - might happen but I don't think it is likely based on what some apple execs have said publicly. Either way, it won't hurt you to wait until after since we are only talking one week away.

    A few things you might want to consider are what your degree field is going to be and what the school recommends. I hate to say it but if your degree uses some specific apps they may be windows only - I know makes me cringe too, you may want a windows machine. But if you need them for your degree it is something to consider. The school may also make some recommendations on what to buy and what is supported.

    Also, make sure you get education pricing when you buy. Right now you could get an emac for under $800 - $700 if you wanted really cheap. If you get finanicial aid you might also be able to get a loan to help buy a computer. This loan is just like a regular student loan - payable after you graduate. Down side is you normally only get this one time, so if you want the latest and greatest in four years or three years you will be out of luck for help from a loan like this. Each school also will have different requirements, or may not offer it at all so find out about that as well. If you haven't applied for finanical aid - do it. Even if your parents are Bill.... err Steve Jobs you can qualify for finanical help.

    Lastly, I know it is difficult, but it may be worth while to wait for a year before upgrading. Your cube will work well for your first year. It might be better to wait and see what comes out in a year.

    Just some advice from someone who does this on a regular basis for college students.
  5. Ayre thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 7, 2003
    Hmm... you may have seen some upgraded Cubes. The Cubes I can find on eBay have about the same specifications as mine, and go for around $500-550. That's still not bad. That's what makes it so appealing to sell it now while interest in it is still high.

    Luckily, I'm going into Graphic Design or Studio Art. For both majors, my school recommends a Mac, and offers a lease for a decked out Powerbook after you go into the 2nd year. So, it might be smart to have the Cube last a year, and spend my graduation money on something else.
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    are you going to need more power for the apps that you will have to use at school? or is the power in your cube managible until you can lease that powerbook? thats something you need to consider too, also would you be satisfied with an eMac or a G4 iMac? at least you have some time, so sit down and figure out the pros and cons, as well as what is more important to you

Share This Page