considering a g4 powerPC to replace a mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by APPLENEWBIE, Dec 21, 2006.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

For my office, I want to be able to use multiple monitors (extended desktop.) I currently have a 1.42 g4 mini. I find that it has enough power for what I do, mostly wordprocessing, internet research, networking wirelessly to a g3 transcription computer. But it can only handle one monitor. I have considered a 23" monitor but it seems that a couple of 19" monitors would be a lot more real estate... What do you think of the idea of replacing the mini with a powermac g4 with 1+ gb dual processor? They seem pretty cheap on ebay ($600 to $1000). any comments would be appreciated. Any advice about buying a computer on EbaY?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'd save my money and buy an Intel machine. i don't see any purpose in buying a PPC machine at this point. but if you don't have the money or you've found another way to justify it, then go ahead.

as for buying through eBay, make sure to use PayPal and make sure you're buying from a user with a high approval rating. you can never be too safe when dealing with money on the Internet.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Consider the $1299 17" iMac + external 20" display.

B

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you can get the G4 for <<$600, maybe, but dont pay anywhere near $1k for one......for just a bit more you could get a brand new iMac, a far better deal.

As for ebay, set your paypal up to get funds from a credit card. That gives you a little extra protection, as you can always dispute the charges thru them as well as paypal if a problem arises. But for payments in the upper $$ amounts, an escrow service is well worth it. They hold the money until you say you got the box and it is ok to issue payment.

5. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the advice. Leaning now towards an imac, intel. One question... on the 17" intel imac, is it possible to use the external monitor as the primary desktop, and the (smaller) imac screen as the secondary?

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Unfortunately you are stuck with the screen that is in the iMac. If you need a large one why not buy a larger iMac instead :)

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I think that isn't true. On my PowerBook I can change it so that the primary screen is on the secondary screen by going changing the settings in the displays pane.

8. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Why wouldn't it be possible? Drag the menubar to the second display in "Display Preferences."

9. T-Stex macrumors 6502

It's definitely possible. Just go to System Preferences -> Displays, then go to arrangement (I believe) and drag the menu bar from the iMac's display over to the external display.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I always had the impression that you would be stuck with what the iMac has.

You learn something every day :)

11. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

You can get a dual G4 1GHZ for less than that. I bought one on CL for about $400 and sold it to a member here for around the same price, and that was a few months ago.