Considering a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CainerWolf, Feb 27, 2007.

1. CainerWolf macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hey all,

I am considering purchasing a Mac Mini, but I'm really curious to know what the performance differences are between the Combo Drive and Super Drive versions.

This will be my first mac purchase, and it is mainly because I want an additional computer to use at my job. I work in a very unix-oriented position, and it would be a lot easier to have a native unix machine. Plus I have been admiring the MacBooks and iMacs that some of my co-workers have, so I figured I'd give one a whirl.

Lastly, I'm a bit worried about the fact that the Mac Mini line is listed as "Don't Buy" in the Buyer's Guide on this website, because it is "due" to be updated. However, I haven't seen any information that puts this update before May, and I really don't want to wait that long.

Thanks for all your help,

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Differences between the combo and superdrive versions aren't that huge. There's a processor bump, 20 gigs more hard drive space, and of course, the superdrive. If you think you'd make use of the superdrive, might be worth the extra money. I wouldn't spend it just for the processor speed and space though. The difference between the 1.66 and the 1.83 isn't huge, and you'll notice the money you're saving more than the extra speed in my opinion.

As far as updates, there's always an update on the horizon. The mini recently had its processor architecture changed from the G4 to the intel core duo, that in itself being a huge advance in speed. The best you'll see for an upgrade at this point is perhaps a processor and hard drive bump. Nothing radical. I'd say it's a good time to be buying one.
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    that change was over a year ago. The current mini has existed for 6 months or so, and it was underpowered at the time it was last updated. By now, it's clearly the worst buy in apple's lineup.
  4. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    Agreed. It is not time to buy a Mini. Wait for the update.
  5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Wow, I just checked it. It really has been a little over a year now. Silly me :eek:

Either way, I don't think it's the "Worst Buy" on apple's lineup. Different users have different needs and if it suits the OP then there's nothing bad about it. In retrospect though, taking a look at the iMacs wouldn't be a bad idea. ;)
  6. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    Which are also due for an update...
  7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2006
    Columbia, SC
    Used prices for Mac mini's are way down. Perhaps not a bad time to buy a used one for few months...till reported new ones arrive.