Considering a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LennyZ71, Jan 10, 2007.

1. LennyZ71 macrumors newbie

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen;

I hope this is the right forum so many to choose from. I'm considering buying a mac in the near future. I want to be able to do music, photos, and video editing for general stuff. Mainly my fire dept whose website I manage. Anyway I want your suggestions for what is the best mac to look at and certain options to consider. I've mainly worked with pc's and not sure on my mac-ness lol.

Thanks in advance
    Lenny Cunningham
    http://www.broussardfire.org

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How much do you want to spend. Laptop? Desktop?

All current Macs will work for what you want, so you need to give us more info.

B

3. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

This seriously depends on what you want to do with a Mac. I have a MacBook, which is great for business apps. I have a Dual G5 2 ghz for graphics, and my partenr and my mom both have eMacs for business apps, email (so much more secure than windows mail), etc.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

A great decision, and one you won't regret I'm sure:)

First question is whether you want a desktop system or a notebook. Then comes your budget.

If a notebook is what you're considering then a MacBook should do all you want. For music and video editing I would go for as much memory and disk space you as can afford. OS X LOVES memory! Going for a MacBook over the MacBook Pro should help you cover this if budget is a concern.

For a desktop, it's unlikely you would need a Mac Pro unless you're doing heavyweight music/video, which for a webite is unlikely, although only you know this. I would therefore go for an iMac 24" as you will come to value the extra screen real estate. Once again I would go for 2GB memory and as big a disk as you can afford.

If you post more details we can tune to your needs

5. LennyZ71 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i work 24on 48 off and I do alot of work at the station so i'm considering a laptop. But still haven't decided. I'm not sure what I need I know some graphic design people running photoshop and so on but. I want to be able to take pics and movie clips and make my own movies. Edit pics, surf the web and do general things like that. I don't have a huge need for any other applications most the things I have to work with are online. and its possible I might switch over to dreamweaver or something instead of frontpage but i have never worked with it before. I don't want it to be laggin around when trying to make movies and edit pics. as far as price goes i'd consider maybe 2000-2500 if it did everything i needed it to do. Are mac specifics pretty much the same as pc's processor speed, ram, just not used to the mac terminology yet

6. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Before I got my mac I was worried about trying to figure out how a new operating system works, in light of the fact that it took years to fully understand the inner workings of MSFT's nincompooperous OSs. The Mac OSX is just generally easier to understand and know how to work.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I am doing just about everything you want to do on my MacBook. It NEVER lags on anything. The Core 2 Duo cpu is the same has any high end Windows laptop. For your budget you could even get a MacBook Pro. It has a bigger screen, which is nice because I do find the MacBook's 13.3 inch screen a little cramped sometimes for photo editing. Just make sure whatever machine you get you have 2G of ram and plenty of hard disk space.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I would be very careful about buying a mac if I were you. Yes, they are incredibly engineered products. And the user experience far outdistances its' rivals. But, there is a significant downside they do not tell you about. It is kind of a dirty little secret.

It is kinda like the kid who smokes pot, but eventually it does not do it for him, and he moves to heroin. Macs are the smack of computers. Soon you will loose interest in lesser technology - you will only find gratification with your Mac. Then you will have to find a support group like MacRumors. You will make a few tentative posts, then before you know it, you have a moniker like iFireman and an animated Avatar of a semi-naked babe, jumping from a burning three-story window into your arms! No, being a Mac owner is not as rosy as they would have you believe.

9. LennyZ71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats awesome is that your sales pitch to everyone? :)

what is the biggest difference in mac (regular) and mac (pro)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Bigger screen (15 or 17 inch), better video card (for 3d gaming), slightly faster cpu, pc-card slot, a few other bits and pieces. Take a look at Apple's website for the complete description.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

No sales pitch, Lenny! I have no relationship with Apple, or its' distribution network. I am just a long-time IT pro who has seen the light!

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Now that your choices have been narrowed down to either a Macbook or a Macbook Pro, go see them in person. Everything you want to do can be done with the software that comes with the machine. Have the salesman show you.