Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys!
So, I'm considering buying a 4GB Nano, but I need some opinions and answers to a few questions. First off, I originally wanted a 30GB iPod 5G because of the video capabilities, but from reviews I've heard, the Video really isn't that great. The battery supposedly sucks when it comes to video playback and plus the form factor is kinda big. I already have an iSkin Duo for the iPod Nano, as well. I've had my Mini for a year and only have 161 songs (638.6 MB). I do enjoy the iTunes videos like Desperate Housewives, Lost and South Of Nowhere, but they can all be bought on DVD for a better buy (included special features) and watched on my much bigger 12" screen on my iBook or my 20" TV. So, what do you think? Would a Nano or Video be good for me?

If I did decide to go for the 4GB Nano, a few questions/concerns have come into my mind:

1. Does the iPL (iPod Linux) really work on Nanos? This really isn't a big concern, but I'm just curious because I've heard about it. Are there risks?

2. Can a Nano connect to a TV so I can show photos via an AV cable or something? Or maybe a universal dock? This is my other question. Is the Nano even compatible with the Apple Universal Dock or not?

3. Can you view photos and listen to music at the same time on an iPod?

4. On Apple's site, it says both the 2GB and 4GB hold 25,000 photos. How is that possible if one is bigger than the other?

5. Does the black iPod Nano really scratch easier than the white one? Or is it the other way around? I've heard mixed views on this subject.

6. I know I have dropped my Mini a few times and it is still working fine and it is hard drive based. Even though the Nano is flash based and can withstand jumping and such, if it was in my iSkin Duo and dropped, would it crack or something like that? Is it like incredibly fragile or can it stand a little wear and tear?

7. Lastly, should I wait to get the Nano? I have heard a few rumors that the new Nano maybe released as early as September. What are your thoughts on this?

Now, two more things before I end this semi-long post. First, whatever iPod I get, I will want to use the iHome. It looks like a great device for the price. Does anybody have one? Is it really that great? And can the Nano even play off of it?

Second, does anyone own one of those new Apple iPod FM Tuners? I am considering getting one of those with my new iPod. Does it work well?

Thanks so much. Any input or info you have to offer is appreciated. Sorry for the long post, I just want to make the right choice.
-Cait

EDIT: Oh, and what is with that whole the screen fades to black and white when you don't touch it thing? Can anyone explain? Thanks so much!

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Caitlyn said:
So, what do you think? Would a Nano or Video be good for me?
You really did answer your own question, You certainly don't have enough songs to warrant the 30Gb of space, in terms of Video from iTunes music Store, as you said, you can get the DVD in most cases cheaper than the videos, and are of better quality.

If I did decide to go for the 4GB Nano, a few questions/concerns have come into my mind:

1. Does the iPL (iPod Linux) really work on Nanos? This really isn't a big concern, but I'm just curious because I've heard about it. Are there risks?

you can get iPod linux on the Nano

http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5281
This is the easiest way to do it, I couln't get it working but maybe you can, Just make sure that you have a backup of your songs/data that are on your Ipod Nano.

2. Can a Nano connect to a TV so I can show photos via an AV cable or something? Or maybe a universal dock? This is my other question. Is the Nano even compatible with the Apple Universal Dock or not?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/90701/wo/as2uCQ6HHGfR2OO6bVS14MtErja/2.SLID?mco=1643B11C&nplm=MA045

I am confused about this one, in the specs it doesn't mention the iPod Nano but further down it says it is. I have an old dock and I can't get the iPod nano to work with it, Maybe someone has the correct answer to this.

3. Can you view photos and listen to music at the same time on an iPod?

Yes you can

4. On Apple's site, it says both the 2GB and 4GB hold 25,000 photos. How is that possible if one is bigger than the other?

Thats interesting, maybe it has a 25,000 photo limit, otherwise it may not be able to cope with more! Just like iPhoto 05 had that limit I think.

5. Does the black iPod Nano really scratch easier than the white one? Or is it the other way around? I've heard mixed views on this subject.

I hope not, My white iPod Nano is so scratched, I've given up caring about it!:p

6. I know I have dropped my Mini a few times and it is still working fine and it is hard drive based. Even though the Nano is flash based and can withstand jumping and such, if it was in my iSkin Duo and dropped, would it crack or something like that? Is it like incredibly fragile or can it stand a little wear and tear?

have a look at this review....

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

7. Lastly, should I wait to get the Nano? I have heard a few rumors that the new Nano maybe released as early as September. What are your thoughts on this?

If a new Nano is released I assume it will just have a 6Gb limit, maybe slightly more resistant to scratches etc, nothing major. Its the same with anything you buy, it will be updated after you buy it.

Now, two more things before I end this semi-long post. First, whatever iPod I get, I will want to use the iHome. It looks like a great device for the price. Does anybody have one? Is it really that great? And can the Nano even play off of it?

Yes you can, and I haven't tried it so I can't help you on this one.

Second, does anyone own one of those new Apple iPod FM Tuners? I am considering getting one of those with my new iPod. Does it work well?

Can't help sorry...

EDIT: Oh, and what is with that whole the screen fades to black and white when you don't touch it thing? Can anyone explain? Thanks so much!

You can change this in the settings, it the screen light, you can have it turned it constantly if you wish. just will drain the batteries very fast.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I would get the Video. What reviews have you read? Big form factor? Where did the reviewers get that from? Before I was interested in getting the 5G, common sense kicks in and says, " 2.5" screen must make the iPod wider." When I was looking into getting a 5G, I looked up the width of the 5G compared the the 4G on Mactracker. They are exactly the same width and length. The 30 GB is so thin considering it is HD based, and the 60 GB( the one I opted for) is as thick as the 4G 20 GB iPod with the monochrome screen(non-color screen). What do you expect battery life wise when watching videos? The 14-20 hours of battery life Apple estimates? When watching videos, the backlight is constantly on, and it is a lot brighter then the color screens in the Nano and the 4G iPod Photo's. The HD spins up a lot because videos take up more of that 25 MB buffer then music does. So it would spin up and eat away the battery life. The screen doesn't fade to black and white. It still has color in the display. It is that the backlight turns off to save energy. I only have 126 songs. But, I plan to put a lot of videos on it. Most of them I ripped from DVD's using an app called Handbrake. The black Nano or Black 5G won't scratch anymore then the White iPod, but it will show the scratches more due to it being a dark surface.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Not True.

mac_head101 said:
I'd go for the nano. A friend of mine has the video, and it's pretty cumbersome.

As someone who owns a Nano and a iPod video, I have a few things to say. The iPod Video is about the same thickness as an iPod mini, only wider. Its really not that big or cumbersome, unless your compare it directly to the nano, which IMO, is to small and then. It feels cheap. The video feature is nice, but it does suck battery life.

Unless you have no use for video playback, or want it for running or high endurance work out, I would say get the iPod Video. It really can do more.

WRCfan

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2005
New Zealand
I recently ordered a iPod nano and am going to recieve it as a friend will bring back from Japan for me (by ordering from Japan rather then NZ) I managed to save $100NZD which was good. I got a 4G for the price of a 2G in NZ shops haha.

Looking forward to recieving it and finally not having to use the iBook for listening to all my music.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I am curious, have you had a chance to hold, fiddle, and play with both 'pods? They're pretty different. I have an older 3rd gen 20GB iPod and I knew that without a doubt, my next iPod would have to be much much smaller if I wanted to actually tote it around and use it. I was about to get the shuffle when the Nano came out solving all my needs/wants.

I wanted playlists. Small form factor. Flash based (for if and when I work out). Not too high capacity (with 20gigs+ I find that I don't listen to as much music as I'd like to :eek:).

Play with them both in person. Some people hate the way the Nano feels. Other don't like the size of the 5th gen iPod.

Caitlyn said:
That said... I do have the iHome and use it w/ my Nano. I love it!!! My main suggestion for you (if you get the iHome-- which does work with all the iPods) is to purchase the iHome from Costco (if you're a member) for only $89.99 and an awesome return policy. The one from Costco includes the nifty remote control (which otherwise retails for about $20). If you poke around online, you might find some more negative reviews because there are actually two versions of the iHome. The older one had an annoyingly 'too loud' alarm and 'too bright' display. The newer model (such as the one I got from Costco) has 3 dimmer settings so that the lowest one is barely visible and the alarm volume has been turned down a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.