Considering a new PC?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kool-aid4every1, Mar 18, 2005.

1. kool-aid4every1 macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2005
    If you are please read on: A little over one year ago I decided to get a new pc (generic term as I intended to go Apple from the start.) I had just done a slide show with music for two weddings pro bono and had requests to do a couple more with the promise of compensation. Knowing my Acer with 98 wouldn't hold out long under that kind of constant stress and the time it took to finish prompted my decision. A friend let me test drive his Mac and I loved it. When I compared what I needed (some video editing) on a PC (Ms) with what I needed on a Mac the cost was comparable- the Mac was still higher but comparable nonetheless.

I actually had my order ready to finalize when I had the idea that I should do more research rather than go on the good "feel" I had from the Mac. So I talked to some friends who are techs (I am not) and told them I really wanted an Apple and asked them what they thought. Had I told them I had just joined the PLO I would have received a better response. "Apples are just toys, you can't do as much with them, they are going out of business, you can't get any software for them," as well as the other witty rejoinders they teach ms techs to say.

I caved, this was a tool for me and I make that a rule about my computers. If I want to play games I buy a Playstation. Anyways I went with a four letter word for a pc. I was able to make one more slide show however I couldn't do as many as I wanted since my pc and XP brought with them another full time job trying to keep them up and running. When you are purchasing, **** and MS walk hand in hand as lovers. As soon as you have problems **** treats MS as the Palestinians treat Israeli settlers in the Gaza Strip. Both companies Tech support workers would be deemed too rude to work toll booths in New Jersey.

Anyways this week I ordered my iMac g5 after extensive research that included reading posts on this forum and calling Apple with no customer # and asking questions about imagined problems an my imaginary Apple. Amazingly Apple's phone people act as if they ACTUALLY appreciate their customer's and care about the quality and usability of their product.

This is my experience with my "more usable," and "economical" Windows PC, I thought I would share since this forum has helped me.
  2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Congrats on the new iMac. Sorry to hear you had to go through the typical PC expierence. Unfortunatly most tech's know absolutly nothing about Mac's and typicly don't want their employers to get them as it would put them out of a job :) .
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Now not all PCs are quite so cursed... but very glad you're getting the iMac

Having said that, my colleague was planning on getting an iMac in December but his friends encouraged him to buy an HP because it had a TV tuner and they felt it was cheaper. He's spent several hours on the phone to tech support and the last 3 nights attempting restores and reinstalls (he's not particularly technical) He's also finally taken my advice from December to use Firefox... I've been very restrained at work by saying 'I told you so' but funnily, he's said 'I wish I'd listened to you' :p
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Most tech-heads & IT drones are just MS shills...

Many of them are seriously deficient when it comes to anything outside the MS sphere and furthermore, the MCSE ones can be the worst with their wanky little badges and worthless certificates.

Am I in a bad mood? Yes.
    Gross generalisations? Probably.
    Do I care? No.
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Most importantly.
    Are you correct? Yes ;)
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I pray that it isn't anything major that has you in a bad mood Blue Velvet. At least it's Friday, which means that you have the weekend to relax. Start a new week relaxed, renewed, and refreshed. Do something fun this evening, treat yourself as a VIP. ;)
  7. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    She doesn't need to treat herself as a VIP sometimes, she's a VIP all the time! :D
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    microsoft certified professionals specialize in windows networking for the most part...there are some other mcp types for database, programming and the such, but most of the mcp program is based in teaching, implementing, maintaining, and learning about pc networking

if they don't use macs they don't really have the authority to intelligently comment on macs and why microsoft may be better or worse than mac os

there are however, mcp types out there who hate microsoft for one or more reasons, but still find a way to hate macs without really having used them...sometimes i wish i had tons of money so i could just drop an imac or ibook on their doorstep and see how these people change in just a few would be like mac evangelization :)

the reason we don't see too many techies certified in fixing macs is not because there are few macs, but because macs almost run least compared to windows running pc machines

well, rant over

-jefhatfield, mcp but mac user first
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hope you're feeling better Blue!

I agree tho. My colleague asked our IT team what might be wrong with his PC and they diagnosed a dodgy hard drive. I suggested dodgy spyware and the IT boys laughed in my face.

The third HP technician he spoke to suggested a spyware infestation and ta da, after the fresh install it's all working again.
  10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    She who laughs last, laughs loudest. :)
    And thanx, I'm feeling better -- haven't been sleeping well recently.

How can you not feel good in this weather?
  11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    AMEN to that. As I always say: "No one was ever fired for buying microsoft... but they should have been!!"

I've started a Mac User Group in my city here, and when we do our meetings everything is so quick, efficient and EASY. The peecee group that meets afterwards is just a bunch of people sitting around saying 'well gee, this didn't work so I rebooted, then I reinstalled, then I picked my nose, then I ...' It's enough to drive me up the wall! :rolleyes:

The theme of the peecee meetings: well, why doesn't this work? why doesn't that work?
    The theme of the Mac meetings: Woah! That is COOL!!
  12. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I had a woman come into my work today to try to buy a powerbook for her son (that's what he wants). She then went on to say that she's afraid to buy a mac because Microsoft is going to buy Apple out in 5 years. I tried my best not to laugh. But, I just smiled, and showed her OS X. Well, needless to say, that after I was done with her... she wanted a mac :)

There are just soo many people out there who are AFRAID to buy a mac. And those techs are just very closed minded. Also, remember you're going to get bias anywhere you go. Just keep that in mind.
  13. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I think Windows IT people discourage mac as much as they can because they secretly know that if there employer switched to macs then they could probably fire half the IT staff due to lack of need because mac network so well a rarely have problems. Not to mention that sense there is no spy-ware/viruses for mac it take about a 8th of a time to outfit a mac for an employee then it dose with a pc due to that fact that on pc's they have to install a huge amount of company firewall stuff and all kinds of other sh*t to make it work right with the company networks. Believe me I work at large company, and If I need a new pc for some various reason (ie. my old one broke or something) It takes about 3 IT guy 4-6 hours to get a new one up a running for me.
  14. kool-aid4every1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2005
    Thanks for responding.

I was not trying to say that all PC users will have a bad experience, in fact I know people with the same hardware and OS that I had and have had no problems. What I was trying to convey is the lack of knowledge that MS and **** seem to have about their aown products. Their tech support is, depending when you call, either clueless or they treat you like you just asked them where the "any" key was.
    Type into Google: "troubleshoot windows XP," and Microsoft's website isn't the top site, last I checked, it was outside the top 5. Does that say that everyone is so familiar with Microsoft's website they don't run it through a search engine? Or are they like me and feel that Microsoft will be no help to them and look elsewhere to solve their problems? I don't know the answer but I suspect it is a little of both.
  15. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    "troubleshoot mac OS X": Apple site comes up 4th. I click through about 5 or 6 pages and saw a few sites I recoginized. But MacRumors was not one of them. :(
  16. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    many techs i know realize the superiority of macs/mac os and linux...but they also know where their paychecks come from...fixing windows :)

many pc side IT people with just a hs diploma make much more than college educated programmers with their bachelor's or master's (check out visual basic magazine salary surveys from year to year to confirm)

as far as microsoft buying apple inc, they can do that 12 times over and still not make much of a dent in their bank account, but with the anti-trust litigation still fresh in their memory, i don't see microsoft buying apple inc out anytime soon

us mac users are pretty much a non-entitiy with our 2-3% percent of the market so there is really no reason for billy g. to buy us out...and that's a good thing

but let's say billy g. buys apple inc and has macs designed up in redmond...i don't really care...i will still use a mac, no matter where it's made or who owns it, instead of buying a dell, gateway, e-machine, or hp-compaq box...i would only really buy a pc as a secondary computer