Considering a used iBook, need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rstroud, Mar 22, 2004.

1. rstroud macrumors regular

Hey, I'm new to macs, my friend has a 15" Powerbook and it was just beautiful. I loved the interface and everything. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a Celeron 2.0. I alredy have a buyer for 400 bucks and I have an old computer for sale, and it's currently going for $100. So I'm looking to spend about 500-600 on one, plus I will be getting Office X.

I want the iBook for these reasons:

1. Portablity: 12" Less than 5 lbs. Dell-8.5 lbs...
    2. Batterly life: 5 vs. 2:30-3.
    3. Interface: Love the mac's interface.
    4. OSX

I realize a used iBook's battery life will be diminshed, but I will purchase a new one on apple.com if it is that bad. What would you suggest? I've been looking around on ebay. I just need it for web browsing (wireless access), note taking, word processing. I fell in love and now I can't stop thinking about it! :p

Advice?

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I recommend checking out Apple's refurbished computers. They really are pretty good, and you can frequently get refurbished G3 iBooks down to around $700. Check them out.

3. &RU macrumors member

Try to avoid the so-called "dual USB" iBooks, my sister has one and it has been in for extensive work (ie; motherboard replacement and some other ugly sounding business). I think daveman has a good suggestion, check out refurbs -- they generally come with a warranty and have been checked out by a pro. I don't think I would personally purchase a used mobile computer unless I knew the previous owner, bad things can happen to them that may not show up cosmetically.

4. rstroud thread starter macrumors regular

It's a bit of a stretch moneywise, but I can look into it.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

rstroud,

Ignore &ru's post. Some of the dual USB iBooks have had motherboard problems, but not all. I have a 500mhz G3 iBook, the first dual USB model. I've had only one problem with it, and that was a bad ribbon that connects the screen to the motherboard. It's an excellent computer. It's over 2.5 years old, and it's currently doing an excellent job running Panther. I use my original battery, and I still get 4.5 hours out of it (after 2.5 years, I find that amazing).

Like Daveman Deluxe said, check out Apple's refurb section. If you can't find anything there, then check out old dual USB iBook's on eBay.

6. &RU macrumors member

You don't neccesarily have to get a refurb from Apple, check out places like powermax.com that sell older models, I haven't dealt with them personally but they have been around for quite a while. There are others as well, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have a "dual USB" iBook 500Mhz, and it has always and continues to work perfectly. It's had a rough life too, living in Siberia for 18 months, eating oddly fluctuating Russian current, and travelling in extreme cold.

8. &RU macrumors member

I will now formally apologise to all "dual USB" owners for my previous comments. I just thought rstroud should know, so that he could make an educated purchase.

But now that I think about it, my sister has had more problems with her "dual USB" iBook than I ever had with my Powermac 5215CD (which was apparently one of the worst macs ever made -- mine is still running fine).

All the best in your search rstroud, your computing experience will be much more enjoyable on a mac -- and you will defend your iBook fiercely (see above, lol).

9. rstroud thread starter macrumors regular

I'm carefully weighing the options, we'll see what I can come up with. Right now, it looks as though I'll have 600 total to spend, that's including any RAM upgrades for now. I qualify for educational discounts, so I'll get Office X for my b-day.

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe