Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Hello everyone,

Hope all is well on your side. I currently own an iPad 4 and I was waiting for iPad Air 3 to come out this year, which is why I didn't get an iPad as yet. Since, that wasn't announced so I initially thought of getting an iPad Mini 4 but since most of its specs are similar to an iPad Air 2 (iPad Air 2 still has A8X) and I am very much comfortable with its size. I just wish to change because I find iPad 4 pretty heavy now plus it has become slightly laggy with iOS 8 so I am sure, iOS 9 won't work that great on my iPad 4.

I am not interested in iPad Pro as it would be out of my range plus I find it huge for my requirements.

I would like your suggestion on the fact that whether I should wait and see if iPad Air 3 is announced later this year or go for an iPad Air 2. Since, I am comfortable with iPad Air 2 and I still consider it powerful than iPad Mini 4 so I guess I'd rather get that than Mini 4. However, I am still open to your suggestions so please feel free to share your views. I would highly appreciate your help.

Regards

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The Air 2 is probably a safe buy right now. It's highly unlikely there will be an Air 3 at this point. And, you can save money and get a refurbished one too if you're good with that.

Don't worry about an Air 3, I don't believe it's going to happen until next year. Even then, the Air 2 will be good to go for years and years.

Reactions: ron7624

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I agree with @s2mikey. I was surprised the ipad Mini 3 was dropped and the iPad Air 2 was not mentioned this year. The iPad Mini 4 was also a surprise at this event to me. Comparing the specs from the iPad Air 2 and the new iPad Pro, they are very similar in some ways and don't think Apple will release an updated version of the Air this year. Now, all 3 iPad sizes share the same screen and a host of other things. Of course the processors are very different, but are somewhat appropriate for the size of the devices. I have ordered the iPad Mini 4 - which, honestly is what should have come out last fall.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
The Air 2 is probably a safe buy right now. It's highly unlikely there will be an Air 3 at this point. And, you can save money and get a refurbished one too if you're good with that.

Don't worry about an Air 3, I don't believe it's going to happen until next year. Even then, the Air 2 will be good to go for years and years.

Thanks a lot. Well since I live in Pakistan so I don't have the option to get a refurbished one. I have to get a brand new one and I as such don't have any issue with that. Personally, I have never ever used a Mini before. I recently saw a Mini 2 and I didn't like the colours on it at all. It did feel lighter and nice to hold in hand but then when I used an Air 2, I found it quite light and handy too. I am very fond of reading and mainly use my iPad for using Safari, sometimes watching TV Shows and reading books. I am quite happy with my iPad 4 too but I find it quite heavy now to use.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Based on the usage you described, the iPad Mini 3 or 4 might suit your needs as it doesn't sound like you'll be heavy on processing needs/speeds. The Mini series are quite portable and less cumbersome. If you're trying to future proof for a few years to come, the iPad Air 2 will be your best bet, not to mention some extra real estate when it comes to the screen.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Based on the usage you described, the iPad Mini 3 or 4 might suit your needs as it doesn't sound like you'll be heavy on processing needs/speeds. The Mini series are quite portable and less cumbersome. If you're trying to future proof for a few years to come, the iPad Air 2 will be your best bet, not to mention some extra real estate when it comes to the screen.

I was about to say that and you said it at the end yourself. Yes, future proofing is also one aspect that is in my mind as considering its power, it seems that it would serve me for longer. If I had the option between 12.9 inches screen and 7.9 inches then definitely, I would have gone for Mini as Pro would have been too big for me.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
There is no Mini 3. It was dropped from the Apple store, but the 2 is still available from Apple. Go figure o_O

I didn't like the colours and display of Mini 2 plus when I come to think of future proofing then Mini 2 clearly doesn't serve that purpose of mine. Also, since I am so used to using Touch ID on my iPhone 6 so Mini 2 doesn't have that either.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
There is no official apple store in pakistan.
Right, there are no official Apple Stores in Pakistan but there are Authorised resellers like Future Tech, Panaroma Computers, iStore, etc. iStore (Pace, Lahore) offers refurbished products (Macs mostly). Haven't seen them selling refurbished iPads.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Right, there are no official Apple Stores in Pakistan but there are Authorised resellers like Future Tech, Panaroma Computers, iStore, etc. iStore (Pace, Lahore) offers refurbished products (Macs mostly). Haven't seen them selling refurbished iPads.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I know about them. The issue is that the products they sell do not have FaceTime due to PTA restrictions and being a regular user of FaceTime that is one feature that I cannot miss having in my iPhone or iPad.

By the way, I eventually bought an iPad Air 2 and I am simply loving using it. Its light like a feather and blazing fast. The battery life is great.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
Thank you for the reply. Yes I know about them. The issue is that the products they sell do not have FaceTime due to PTA restrictions and being a regular user of FaceTime that is one feature that I cannot miss having in my iPhone or iPad.

By the way, I eventually bought an iPad Air 2 and I am simply loving using it. Its light like a feather and blazing fast. The battery life is great.
What? They don't give Face Time? How's that even possible? Face Time is just a software inside the OS and the supplier has nothing to do with it.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan

Almost all Apple products has got FaceTime. I bought my Retina Macbook Pro from them, too.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Almost all Apple products has got FaceTime. I bought my Retina Macbook Pro from them, too.

Not many people know this but even in the UAE, the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad don't have FaceTime in them. The option is not available in the settings and there is no app icon in the app screen as well. So since Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has also banned the usage of FaceTime so thats why the official authorised resellers have to sell the ones without FaceTime. Only other shop vendors who import them personally are offering the ones with FaceTime.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009

I also got my macbook pro retina from iRaffles so it comes in the Macs but only not available in iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch unfortunately. Thats why I even got my iPhone from Hafeez Centre from a very reliable person I know of.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
Not many people know this but even in the UAE, the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad don't have FaceTime in them. The option is not available in the settings and there is no app icon in the app screen as well. So since Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has also banned the usage of FaceTime so thats why the official authorised resellers have to sell the ones without FaceTime. Only other shop vendors who import them personally are offering the ones with FaceTime.
Oh wow, didn't know about it. Region dependant iDevices maybe.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
I also got my macbook pro retina from iRaffles so it comes in the Macs but only not available in iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch unfortunately. Thats why I even got my iPhone from Hafeez Centre from a very reliable person I know of.
From which store do u buy inside Hafeez Centre? I got my 2,3 gadgets from DigiStar

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Oh wow, didn't know about it. Region dependant iDevices maybe.

I also got to know when a friend of mine bought an iPhone from FutureTech and later realised that it doesn't have FaceTime. He later on sold it and got a new one from Hafeez Centre. Plus even the iPhones offered by Telenor, Mobilink and Ward also do not have FaceTime in them.

Reactions: Aneef

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
From which store do u buy inside Hafeez Centre? I got my 2,3 gadgets from DigiStar

There is a shop on the front in the basement by the name Mobile Links. You can go to Hafeez there. I have been getting my phones from him for the past 3-4 years and I never encountered any issue. Even if an issue arises, he is more than happy to accommodate me. If you are interested then I can give you his contact number.

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
There is a shop on the front in the basement by the name Mobile Links. You can go to Hafeez there. I have been getting my phones from him for the past 3-4 years and I never encountered any issue. Even if an issue arises, he is more than happy to accommodate me. If you are interested then I can give you his contact number.
Yea sure. How much did u get the iPad Air 2 for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.