Considering buying a used MBP for 800 and need your advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hi i am considering buying a used 2.0 GHZ Core Duo MBP, with 512mb of ram and a 80gb hd for $800. The seller claims the notebook is only 8 months old. I have several questions i would like to ask you all.

1. If the notebook is in good condition, do you think $800 is a good price?
    2. How can i verify the notebooks age and warranty status?
    3. Any adice as for things to look for when i go take a look at it?
    4. Any advice in general , when buying a used mac?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow, that is an incredible deal if there's nothing wrong with it. If you actually have the opportunity to go look at it and make sure it works -- check the display, the battery, the optical drive, the wireless -- that is an AMAZING price. You could even buy AppleCare for it, because if it's an MBP then it's still less than a year old, whether the seller is being truthful about the age or not.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it is real it is an amazing deal, but if it is possible go and look at it before buying.

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Great deal but as stated above, it is always nice to look before buying.

5. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I agree with everyone so far. It'd be best if you could go and try out the machine to test the various functions already mentioned. $800 is a great price, but if it were me I'd wait until I'd have at least ~$2,000 for a brand new MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo, as well as other goodies that the regular Core Duos didn't have yet. That's just my opinion, but do what ya need to do.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

In my opinion, $1200 does not justify a slightly faster processor and N wireless.

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I personally agree, though for soemthings it might be nice to have core 2 du, as well as wireless N. If you dont need these features id definatly grab that deal.

8. BenHoleton macrumors regular

9. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

10. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

how to check the age and warranty status?

Thanks for the input. Any idea how to check the age and warranty status? Does mac have a hardware test i could run on the spot?

11. huy macrumors member

Easy ask for the serial number or look on the box. Or even inside System Profiler/About this Mac window. Serial is also printed on the machine itself.

Then plug it in apple.com/support right hand side under support coverage. Tells you the date of purchase.

Run hardware test off the restore disc that should be with it.

12. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

...it probably is. Totally agree. There is an easy market for these things. Apple products have a pretty high resale price. If it isn't someone you know well I'd be cautious.

Caveat emptor, yo.

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Be careful with this. The price is AMAZING - and often that should throw up flags in your head. If this is an online deal, I'd probably not risk the money and simply dismiss it - unless the seller has amazing and credible references, and can go above and beyond to assure you it's legit. If this is in person, make sure you check the machine thoroughly first, check the serial against Apple's support site, etc., etc.

$800 is cheap for a MBP, but it's still a good chunk of change to find yourself scammed out of - so be wary.

14. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Can i use my my girlfriend's macbook install cd for the hardware test? Does it make a difference that the computer is a macbook pro?

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You should be able to use it for a Disk Utility check, at least.
    But... THe MBP should be coming with its stock CDs. If not the deal is a bit dodgier (may be stolen, esp. if it also doesn't come with the power adaptor)

16. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

i have no idea what the person has as far as software ...i just saw the ad on craigslist. If i even get the scent of anything dishonest i will walk away.

17. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I'm gonna call SCAM from a mile away. No way in hell anyone would let a perfectly working MBP go for $800. Since you said it's Craigslist, I can nearly PROMISE you that it's a scam. I see those ads all the time...I really enjoy the "Brand new 15'' 2.33 Core2Duo Macbook Pro, 2 gb memory 200 gb hard drive, 256 mb X1600 - $1,300."

Even as we discuss this, I bet it will be flagged down and removed within the next 12 hours or so.

18. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

How does the scam work? I almost never buy expensive items second hand. However, a lot of stores were selling these mbp for 1000-1100 when apple discontinued them. You had to be one of the lucky few to get one but there were a bunch of stores that needed to clear out their inventory. That is how my girlfriend got her black mb CD for $799 brand new. They were sold out when i went to get mine...that is why i am still looking.

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The scam works if it's a thief looking to sell it quick.
    Or if the seller knows its not fully functional, takes his $800 and runs.
    Or, if it's online, the seller doesn't have a MBP at all, and has you send his $800 and never ships anything in return.
    Or, Or, Or.. there are a lot of ways this could be a scam.

Also, whereas stores are eager to clear stock, you don't often find individuals ready to take a massive hit on their purchases - everyone wants as much money as they can get.

Just put yourself in his shoes: If you had a perfectly functional, great condition MBP that you had paid your hard-earned 2,000 dollars for less than a year ago, would you be willing to sell it now for $800? No.

20. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

If you found it on craiglist, insist on meeting with the person and trying it out first. If they say that it will not be possible to do that, you know for sure that its a scam. Also get the serial number and any other information on the system you can.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The MacBook Pro can't be more than nine months old (and can't be less than four)...so it's still under the one year warranty, and if they bought AppleCare (which everyone should) it's still protected for two more years after that.

22. XP XtraProblems macrumors newbie

Where are you? This SCAM was just posted on CL in Wash,DC this morning.

I just happen to be looking at the computers on Craigslist in Wash, DC.. and this EXACT scam was posted here minutes ago.

The biggest red flag is there is no location listed for where the individual is. Super Great Deals on Mac's are one of the top scams on CL.

I say, if you can't meet them in person and get a copy of the original receipt (after all, it was just purchased just months ago right? lol) then I would steer clear of it.

23. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your advice. I wrote the guy last night asking for a meeting and no response yet. You are probably right...this was a scam...too bad :(

24. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Also on the Los Angeles Craigslist..

I saw an ad for the same Macbook Pro on the LA craigslist this morning. Total scam.

25. isleofjib macrumors regular

yes, this is a scam. it comes and goes on CL frequently and is also removed quite quickly from CL. please save your money and don't buy it.