Considering buying xbox 360, but how loud is it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by andysc, Feb 24, 2007.

1. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

I'm seriously considering buying a xbox 360 (even though the updated version will be released in the near future). Can any owners comment on the sound issue? I've heard that the machine/drive runs pretty loud.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Have you ever heard a jet on approach? That would give you a good idea of the sound.

Ed

3. Carlsen macrumors member

The fans themselves aren't really bad. But the DVD-drive is very noisy. However, 360's are now made with a BenQ drive that's alot less noisy than the old Samsung and Hitachi drives.

I have one with the old drives, and it doesn't really bother me. I just compensate by turning up the volume :)

4. andysc thread starter macrumors regular

andysc

lol, jet on approach. how loud is the 360 compared to a normal upright vacuum cleaner?

Is there any way to tell which DVD drive the 360 has before I buy it? Is there anything on the box (part number, serial, etc.)? Also, I've heard microsoft is releasing some type of update to slow the drive down, thus decreasing the noise.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's more than audiable when the TV is on the normal game play volume. Though there are supposedly new systems out that combat the noise issue, unfortunately we don't have one!

6. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

7. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Crackdown is the first game where I really noticed the noise.. it seriously sounds like the thing is on the verge of blowing up. I never noticed it with other games.

All the 360s manufactured after November '06 are the new drive... a comment on Gizmodo said that you can see the manufacture date by looking at the open window where the serial number shows, the date is above the serial number.

Here's the article:

Link

I just confirmed by looking at my 360... Above the serial number is a bar code, above that are two lines of numbers, the manufacture date is above those. 2006-04-04 is the format. Might be hard to see them through the window.

8. andysc thread starter macrumors regular

andysc

Thanks. Still debating whether to get a 360 now or wait until the new version comes out. Don't know if it will be worth it other than the HDMI port.

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Wait, give it a month or 2 and a HDMI equipped 360 will be out with a much bigger HD.

Save your pennies for then, its what im doing.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The new models are not that loud but they do have "Shut the hell up" moments.

Bless

12. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Wow... alot of this information sint true... it isnta loud at all... sometimes it can be like a computer and spike up a little bit... but no... it isnt as loud as a jet approach... lol

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

sarcasm? ever consider it?

It was loud, but i put a nvidia 7800 in my G5 and that thing is SOO DAMN LOUD.

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well, I'm on my fourth 360 and 2 of the four were very quiet. This new one is very quiet but it really depends on the game. The more the game taxes the drive/system the louder it gets but not enough to make me nuts :cool: Mine was made Nov. 6/2006 with the new drive and you can't tell it's even on. The only game so far that makes it rev up is Oblivion but it does it on all my friends 360's as well.
    So it is really up to you if you want to wait or get one now and take the chance of getting a newer model or old stock. Good luck ;)

15. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I just got a 360 manufacture date of December/06 and it has the noisy Hitachi drive inside....So don't be too sure of getting the new quiet drive!!!

The noise itself though isn't to bad its sort of an industrial whooshing and not a whining. I wouldn't let the noise stop you buying they are selling at amazing prices now and they are great fun online and off line with the stunning choice of games at the moment...

ShaDow

16. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

The 360 it quite possibly the loudest thing ever.You might want to invest in a pair of blacksmiths tongs to remove game disc from the drive,so you don't burn youself.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Your 360 discs burn you? Shocking! Please post pictures immediately!

:p

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

How to warm yourself using a 360 :

Play a game for a few hours. Preferably Crackdown.

Eject the disc, hold disc aganist skin for warmth. Use cloth between two items. OR

Hug your 360. Because you know you love him deep down inside. :)

19. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Just so you all know, it is still possible to get a 360 with one of the louder drives in it. As of January at least, Hitachi drives were still being manufactured and put into Xbox's, as shown here: Linky
    So don't expect it to have the newer and quiter BenQ drive.

20. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Defiantly the case as I found out to my expense, if you really want a BenQ drive wait a little longer (for stock turnaround) maybe a month or so and you will be guaranteed on. Otherwise its a risk. (worth taking because 360's are awesome)

ShadoW

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have a premium bought launch day Dec 2005, and it's fairly loud alright, especially considering I have just bought a Jan 2007 model and it is a damn sight quieter, the new models are about the same noise as a PS3.

If your buying now, then I guess you will be getting the quieter model.

22. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I don't feel my xbox360 is that loud where it distracts from gaming and I keep it about 1 foot away from me. It's only noisy with a disc playing in the machine. The person who said it's about as loud as a PC tower is right. My Powermac G5 is a lot noisier than the 360.

23. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I got my Xbox around November, and its loud.. You can here it while game menu music is playing.. In comparison to a PS2, its about 2/3 times as loud.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ well yeah obviously its louder than a PS2, but heck even the Wii is louder than a PS2.

But put it this way. Why be so concerned about noise ? Are you planning on playing this with NO sound on ? If so then yes you will hear it. But if you have the sound on your TV turned on to a comfortable level (not loud by anymeans) then it's not a problem.

And if you have 5.1 hooked up even less so.

Basically the new 360's are the same volume as a PS3 and both are a bit louder than an old Xbox which is a bit louder than a Wii which in turn is louder than an PS2 which in turn is louder than an old gamecube which is louder than a Slim PS2....

But at the end of the day, does it really matter that much to you. Are you buying a console based on how loud it is, or what games are available. If its the former, then your priorty is a bit messed up. ;) :)

25. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec