Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I am right now thinking about getting an 4G iPod nano (16 GB blue case) to either supplement or replace my 3G iPod nano (8 GB blue case).

Some questions I need to ask:

1) How's the sound quality?

2) Is the battery life decent? I'm getting about 20 hours playing time on my 3G nano now.

3) How is the on-screen navigation compared to the 3G nano?

4) Will it work with the previous-generation Apple external iPod charger, the one with the fold-out electric plug?

5) Can I turn off the accelerometer mode?

ironman159

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Costa Rica
Answers

1- The best of all iPods nano ever.
2- VERY decent.
3- Smoother.
4- It should.
5- Yes.

Buy it, I have a 4G Green casing and is AWESOME.:D

UCLAkers

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
posted this question in another thread, but maybe my question is better suited for this thread..

so just ditched the nano 2G for a new 4G yesdterday and is it just me, or is the volume just not as loud on the 4G? volume limiter has always been set at max and just recognized a pretty significant drop off in "loudness" if you will. now, I don't BLAST the ipod like a maniac, I just like it at about the quarter to half mark on the volume bar.. but with the 4G it's set at almost 3/4 of the way. and this is late at night in my room with no ambient noise around me whatsoever. am I gonna have to hit up the genius bar or is this the norm for the 4G?

thanks in advance.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
4) Will it work with the previous-generation Apple external iPod charger, the one with the fold-out electric plug?
Hopefully but I'd verify. I have a third-party charger like that for a 2nd gen nano and it's not working with my new 16GB nano. I haven't been able to verify if it still works with a previous gen ipod, though.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
1) I much prefer the sound quality on my iPod mini. The nano just seems to be lacking something - even with the same headphones on the same EQ setting at the same volume level. Speaking of volume, the nano definitely doesn't go as loud as my other ipods, of which I have many. Full volume on my nano is about half volume on my touch and minis.

2) It's not bad. You'll get about the same time as with the 3G. Video and Cover Flow wear the battery down faster.

3) It seems a little smoother. I think the taller screen helps make scrolling easier.

4) If it's a 'USB based' charger, it'll work. Some cheap chargers and docks charge via FireWire. They won't work.

5) Cover Flow and Shake-To-Shuffle can be disabled in the Settings menu.

Source: I have a 4th gen Nano, a 2nd gen Touch, a 5.5th gen Video, and five iPod Minis (two 2nd gen and three 1st gen. I buy broken ones on eBay and repair them).

brendanspah764

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
New iPods should be coming out in Sept. so if you want to wait...

But I have the silver iPod nano and IT ROCKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.