Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewtonPippin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
I've had black phones my whole life: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S 3, iPhone 5, Galaxy S 4, iPhone 5S, HTC One M8, iPhone 6.

I really like how iOS8 looks with a white front! But, I'm scared the Gold looks too girly. I know its just an anecdote, but every person I've seen with a gold iphone outside of MacRumors has been a girl or in one case a feminine male friend of mine. I just don't want to give off the wrong impression with it.

Should I stick with black phones? Get the gold and just suck it up, maybe putting it in a case? Or maybe Silver is a good compromise (most gender neutral)

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I've had black phones my whole life: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S 3, iPhone 5, Galaxy S 4, iPhone 5S, HTC One M8, iPhone 6.

I really like how iOS8 looks with a white front! But, I'm scared the Gold looks too girly. I know its just an anecdote, but every person I've seen with a gold iphone outside of MacRumors has been a girl or in one case a feminine male friend of mine. I just don't want to give off the wrong impression with it.

Should I stick with black phones? Get the gold and just suck it up, maybe putting it in a case? Or maybe Silver is a good compromise (most gender neutral)

It is all based on opinion. I have had the black iPhone up until the 5S and I have had white since then. I don't like gold because I just don't like the color. I see tons of guys that walk into my store (AT&T) and have gold iPhones. It is complete a matter of what you like best.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Get the gold one. Then put a pink case on it. If you can survive that you can handle anything so take the case off. Otherwise put on a black case. Problem solved. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've seen plenty of men with the gold iPhone where I live (Phoenix).

As to your 5s and 6 being black, just the front panel my friend. Apple replaced black with Space Gray from the 5s on.

8rlee8

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
At some point in your life you're not going to care what other people think. Especially something so silly like the color of your iPhone. You could be a super masculine straight male with the rumored rose gold color and not one single person is going to put much thought into it. If you're comfortable with your sexuality then it really doesn't matter what you own, right? Gold doesn't scream feminine to me. Get what you like, not what everyone thinks you should like.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
At some point in your life you're not going to care what other people think. Especially something so silly like the color of your iPhone. You could be a super masculine straight male with the rumored rose gold color and not one single person is going to put much thought into it. If you're comfortable with your sexuality then it really doesn't matter what you own, right? Gold doesn't scream feminine to me. Get what you like, not what everyone thinks you should like.

Agreed. Get what you want @NewtonPippin and ignore what people say.

Reactions: ABC5S

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you like the gold iPhone, why not get it? I'm actually considering getting the gold model if I decide to purchase the 6s. My girlfriend has the gold 6 and I've really grown to like it. I currently have the space gray 6 and while I love it, I'm thinking of switching it up. I'm 33 and really couldn't care less what people would think if I had a gold iPhone. I've mainly seen women around my area with the gold 5s or 6, but it certainly doesn't deter me from purchasing that model. If you like it, then get it.

Reactions: 8rlee8

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The Gold phone will have a white bezel!!!

Can not do that and you can not hide it.

It is your phone and you got to make the choice!

The past "shades" of gold look kinda cheap to me.

Last edited:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

The fact that you even asked this question means that you feel insecure about owning a gold phone. People here may answer that it is ok but you will always wonder what others may think "outside" of Macrumors (i.e. the real world). So, get a gold phone only if you really want it and you don't care what others may say. Plus, what's the point of getting a gold phone if you are going to cover it up with a case? If your ultimate goal is to get a phone with a white face then get a silver.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I went with the gold 5s and the back to black for 6 plus. The gold color on the 6 is just different and in my opinion ugly especially with the white atenna bands. Also that color tends to attract some dbags. In the end if you like it go for it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It only matters what you like and see yourself as owning/using.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Get it! I've seen a lot more men with gold iPhones and almost no women with space grey. If females are drawn towards the gold phone, wouldn't that work in your favor anyway? ;)

Ultimately, no one cares as much as you.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I have a pink 5c, and occasionally cover it up with a vibrant pink case.
I recommend the color if they make a 6c/6s in pink.

I like it, and don't care whatsoever what people think. I suggest you do the same.
You can spend your whole life worrying about what other people think, and then realize that they didn't really think about you all that much.. Do what makes you happy.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Since you used the word "Scared" this tells me you should get the black iPhone instead of Gold. Because ? If you are a manly person you would have used the word "Concerned" instead of Scared. Second, why do you need strangers on a forum to give you advise ? Be your own man for goodness sakes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Color is neither feminine nor masculine, get what color you want and enjoy the phone. You seemed to be more concerned about what others may think. Instead just enjoy what you want and forget what other think, your cannot live you life in fear of what others think

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Here we go again with the girly colors. You'd be amazed at how many guys at my gym sport around gold iPhones, be it the 5S or 6/6+. I have both these phones uncased in gold. You must have some rooted issue with this girly thing. Were you ever teased?

benzkid89

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
TN
Gold all the way man. I had a Gold 5s last year and picked up a Gold 6 which I am using right now. I think Gold looks great in the sea of black iPhones. I paired it with a Gold and leather back Caseology case and the combo looks great. if someone is giving you grief over a phone color they must live terrible lives.

If I decide to stay iPhone then I will get a Gold 6S this fall.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I am really tempted this time around to go gold on my 6s plus. I really just like the way the white front looks with iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.