Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you were to purchase the 4" iPhone SE, what phone would you be switching from?

• A non-smartphone

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Another 4" phone (E.g. iPhone 5(S))

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • A 4.7" phone (E.g. iPhone 6)

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • A 5.5" phone (E.g. iPhone 6+)

Votes: 56 24.5%
  • A 5.7"+ phone (E.g. Note 5/Galaxy S6 Edge)

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • A 3.5" phone (E.g. iPhone 4(S))

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For those considering new rumored iPhone SE to be announced on the 21st, if you were to purchase this 4" model, which model would you be switching from?

Why would you switch? Would you keep your current device just in case?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm considering a switch from a 6+ I want to go back to one handed use. I'm still glad that I got he 6+ over the 6, since they both were too big for one handed use, but large screens suck.

Reactions: ABC5S

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
My 18 year old daughter is considering switching from the 6s to the SE. She's only 5'1 with tiny hands and misses the one hand use of her 5c. She's paying for the phone herself, so she's trying to figure out if it makes financial sense. But from a usability standpoint, she's excited about Apple going back to a smaller model.

Reactions: Foggydog

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm considering a jump from the plus, though I'm still wondering at this stage whether the change will be too drastic and I'd be better off with the 6s.

I'll make the final decision on the 21st.

I'm considering a switch from a 6+ I want to go back to one handed use. I'm still glad that I got he 6+ over the 6, since they both were too big for one handed use, but large screens suck.
Interesting....

Do you have an iPad Air or iPad mini that has been used less since acquiring your 6+? Would your iPads get more use if you want back to a smaller phone?

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I'd like to go back to the 5S form factor, but I feel as though the SE will be disadvantaged with lack of features such as OIS, 3D Touch, and storage sizes.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'd like to go back to the 5S form factor, but I feel as though the SE will be disadvantaged with lack of features such as OIS, 3D Touch, and storage sizes.
I think THAT'S the million dollar question. Are they going to spec (and thus price) this as a sub-premium line or a premium line but only smaller. We'll see soon.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I've considered all iPhones since the 4S, although nothing has been interesting enough to make me jump from my 4.
[doublepost=1457797151][/doublepost]
I think THAT'S the million dollar question. Are they going to spec (and thus price) this as a sub-premium line or a premium line but only smaller. We'll see soon.
It's Apple, I think that's inevitable. They seem to always sell the better hardware in their physically-bigger machines. Maybe it's for the sake of simplifying it for the customer, I don't know.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've considered all iPhones since the 4S, although nothing has been interesting enough to make me jump from my 4.
My wife will most likely be getting the SE. She'll be upgrading from her beloved 16GB 4(S). It's only now having major issues with battery and specs being able to keep up. She's not happy.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Good luck with that. I would not be surprised if it came in 8 and 32gb only.

I would be very surprised if the SE did not offer 16gb base.

Hopefully it will come with a 64gb option and with either a8/a9 cpu + 2gb ram...pretty sure it will be a success.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I would be very surprised if the SE did not offer 16gb base.

Hopefully it will come with a 64gb option and with either a8/a9 cpu + 2gb ram...pretty sure it will be a success.
My guess is 16GB & 64GB only.

I'd say there's a chance that Apple starts making 32GB the minimum this year, so it would have 32GB & 64GB options, but that's a long shot.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Looking forward to going from a 6s Plus 128gb to an SE 64gb. Hopefully via the iPhone Upgrade Program's early upgrade option. Rumors and leaks in the last few years have been spot on, so I'm imagining this phone will, more or less, be a 6s in a 5s' body.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
My guess is 16GB & 64GB only.

I'd say there's a chance that Apple starts making 32GB the minimum this year, so it would have 32GB & 64GB options, but that's a long shot.

The closer this phone will be to the $649 6s price, the more likely it will have all the goodies.

At $550, there's a good chance it will have a9, 2gb ram, and updated camera. Improved touchid is probable...we'll know for sure, soon.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Considering it (coming from a 6), but depends on specs.

Won't be able to do anything until September when my contract is up, after I see the 7 anyway - at which point I'm then in the awkward spot of getting the then 6 month old SE, or waiting 6 more months for the SE successor, should I decide I'd rather have a 4" device. Kind of sucks to be mid-cycle.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Considering it (coming from a 6), but depends on specs.

Won't be able to do anything until September when my contract is up, after I see the 7 anyway - at which point I'm then in the awkward spot of getting the then 6 month old SE, or waiting 6 more months for the SE successor, should I decide I'd rather have a 4" device. Kind of sucks to be mid-cycle.

It's premature right now to think the SE will be updated yearly...odds are that it won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.