considering panther server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by smada, Oct 30, 2003.

1. smada macrumors member

I've used Mac OS X to host my web site and run a local network since i first picked up a copy of 10.1. I've always kept my eye on Mac OS X server, though, as it seems that it could be very useful to me. Now that panther server has been released, I think that it is time to switch to server.

My question is this: Is panther server still a good desktop OS? Will I still be able to use all my iapps and what not? I'd love to have all the server specific features, but not if it means I'd have to sacrifice the rest of OS X experience.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I maintain Jaguar server at school and I haven't noticed that anything from Jaguar client is missing. Just extra server software and the administrative tools to use it. I haven't actually tried using it for "personal" type applications, such as iTunes, but I think it's all there.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OS X server is very usable as a desktop OS. I've been maintaining OS X servers since OS X Server version 1 and it's a great OS.

A couple of questions:
    What features of server do you want/need that you can't accomplish with client?

Will those features warrant the price difference?

4. smada thread starter macrumors member

Rower_CPU:

First: Quicktime streaming server. I think this is the first time it's been included with OS X server (but I might be wrong).

Second: Samba server, I know you can download Samba server software to use with panther, but I've found it to be very ornery.

I like a lot of the features in OS X server. Maybe not enough of them to justify the cost, but at the same time, I'll be using it to run the network that all of the home office computers and printers are on, so I can write it off, tax-wise.

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

QTSS is available for other platforms, including OS X client under the name of Darwin Streaming Server - link

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

A tax write-off definitely makes it easier to justify. QTSS has been in OS X Server since 10.1, IIRC, and like caveman_uk pointed out, you can get Darwin Streaming Server for free.

As for Samba, if you don't find a solution of Panther client and you know that server has the functionality/ease of use that you want, then go for it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting it, since it's a great server OS (especially for n00b server admins like me). I think lots of people tend to overlook the features that are already in client.

It sounds like you've researched things pretty well. :)