Considering purchasing a palm....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by teabgs, Feb 4, 2003.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

But, I know nothing about PDA's. Never used one, just think it'd be useful in organizing my life. I hate using paper notes and whatnot.

What should I look for? I want one that is inexpensive, but not...."cheap"

I dont need games or anything cool,....just wanna use it with iSync, and simple life organization...

Any suggestions? price ranges, specs?

much appreciated

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Do you think that you might want a color one?

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Maybe....but I don't really know. I hope that I wont want to have a really fancy one if/when I do get one. Because beign a geek that tends to happen....but I really don't want to do too much with it. Juts be able to have calenders, notes,, to do list, etc.

The main thing is that I dont want to spend a lot of money

4. mmoin macrumors regular

Get an old Handspring Visor- I have the Deluxe and it's great- supported by iSync and there are a ton of cheap springboard devices still available.

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I'd say try to find a cheap one. eBay would be a good place. A palm V would be a good choice. Its not color but they have a great form factor and dont cost much, so if you dont like it you can always relist it on ebay and not be out much.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

cheap without color: the palm zire
    cheap with color: handspring prism
    Pricey: the palm tungsten t ($500...you better be sure you really want it) or the handspring treo (cell phone or no cell phone)

Really cool psuedo-pda apple product: the iPod.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

8. crackpip macrumors regular

worth considering?

I bought a handspring visor about a year and a half ago, and I found that I never really got used to taking notes on it. I know people do, but personally I never felt it was more convenient than writing notes on paper. Although, I work in a technical field, which means notes usually include pages of nasty equations. Basically I use it for checking my schedule, and looking up phone numbers and addresses.

I also have an iPod and find that I use it for the same things, and I doesn't bother me that I can't change the entries. I also get an mp3 player and a large portable HD, to keep my important files synched between my different machines.

If you're like me, maybe an iPod would be worth considering.

crackpip

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I sugjest my palm, well visor, its a Visor Treo 90 organizer, you can also get the same thing but with a built in phone, you pay 40 a month, anyway I like the treo organizer (PDA not the phone one) because it is in COLOR, has 16mb of built in space, has a built in keyboard, and has a SD or MMC card slot for expansion. but if you are looking a more "compatible" visor get the older ones with a spriongbord module, they have more features liek wi-fi and cameras (the Treo has a camera option too) Alkl Visioprs run the Palm OS, the Treo 90 Organizer is $199 at Best Buy ( i dunno why at handspring.com they want $299 for it) Look around until you find one you like, ;) ENJOY! COLO PALMS ARE GREAT! If you are using OS X and you get the Treo 90 you have to download the OS X software from teh site, I dunno why it isn't on the CD :rolleyes:

LINKS:
    http://www.palm.com
    http://www.handspring.com (Visor)

:D

10. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: worth considering?

I have an iPod, but it's almost filled with music. Also have a firewire drive for transfering files (I do video and graphics so I need a lot of space).

The thing is I want the ability to write stuff and erase stuff on it and all...which I cant do directly to the iPod...the Zire is kinda looking cool...the price is right... can it get my calenders from iCal, and my contacts and all with iSync??

oir can any of them?

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

you can't use your iCal calendars but your contacts yes. just export in vcard format.

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The Zire is ok, but has limited space and NO expandibility...

13. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

so, the zire has 2MB of memory....whereas the Visors all seem to have a lot more...8MB...16MB... I dont know how this makes a dfference with palms, but I know how it works with computers. is the 2MB in the zire going to make it really slow??

Also, how much space do I really need on a PDA? I'm used to working with big files all the time so thinking about just using text stuff seems like I wont really need a lot of space....am I wrong?

I don't like the aaa battery idea...cause I'll forget, so I would prefer one with the rechargable lithium batteries. But Should I not consider this as a factor? The Visor Platinum looks good ot me...from what I can tell, except for the AAA thing.

Also, I dont want a phone...just organizer. Have cel phone will travel...

thanks everyone!!

14. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you like the form factor of the Zire but want a little bigger screen look at the form factor in the V series and 5xx series. You should be able to get them cheap off eBay or some store that sells older Palms. The only thing to consider is that if you're getting a Palm V or Vx you need the Serial to USB converter to make it work with Mac. It is called the PalmConnect and can be found on eBay for under $10.

By the way, I have a Palm Vx and it is great. It works with iSync as well.

Hope this was a help...