Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
How much do you think I can get for my PC? I'm considering selling it for a decent (PC) laptop...

Athlon64 3200
Abit KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X w/LAN,USB2,&Audio
Aluminum Z-Alien case w/ window & LCD temperature display (silver color)
Onboard 10/100 NIC
Netgear WiFi PCI card
1GB RAM
80GB HD (7200, ATA)
GeForce 6800GT (256MB)
CD-RW, DVD-RW
Microsoft optical mouse/ViewSonic keyboard (nice quality!)
2 additional USB 2 PCI cards/1 FireWire PCI card
Semi-generic speakers (includes subwoofer)
Games: Doom III, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
And an unopened box of Norton Personal Firewall 2005 :D
+ 17" Samsung LCD (bought new for $500)

It's a very fast system and works well. Has been my gaming PC, but I don't play games much anymore.

So what do you think?

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
kainjow said:
I'm considering selling it for a decent (PC) laptop...So what do you think?
I think you should sell the pc and buy a 12 inch Powerbook, or a 14 inch iBook. Or a 12 inch iBook. But not another windows-based computer - NO! :D

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
youre at the wrong place! if you want to sell it then buy a PowerBook or iBook, then your in the right place, but if you want to get a PC laptop instead we cant help your type here!!!! heh, j/k (though i do find the question somewhat unusual)

I would not expect very much though. Resale value of PCs is not very high. Though with the 17" LCD that will help some, LCDs usually resale pretty well. I would predict around $400 for everything give or take a little. You have to realize that you can get onto a site like dell or hp and get an equivalent PC for about $500 to $600. Though, you might be able to get more for it if you find a gamer that wants to buy it. The gaming case and games included with it might be to your advantage. Like find a friend or someone who is into gaming. But even then, im not entirely sure.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Hehe yeah I should post this at a PC forum... too bad they all suck :p

I don't want a Mac laptop (current Mac laptops sucks anyways ;)). I need a PC for Visual Studio and other non-Mac stuff..

$400 - $500? Yeah right... my GPU costs about that much. Anyways, I might try to find a newb family member who needs a better computer and sell to them :)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
kainjow said:
$400 - $500? Yeah right... my GPU costs about that much. Anyways, I might try to find a newb family member who needs a better computer and sell to them :)

I can get that card for $240 off of newegg. About half of what you're quoting.

The fact of the matter is, this machine is worth a lot less than what you payed for it's parts.

The avergae person who is going to buy a new pc doesn't know the difference between your board/chip and the one that cost $400 at Walmart. The person who DOES know the difference and wants a case that looks like this:

silzaliens.jpg

Either:

A. Doesn't have the cash.
B. Wants to build it himself.

Sorry, IMHO that machine is in the $650 range. Take the card out and sell it on ebay, throw in a really cheap midrange... or none at all, and sell it on ebay as well. Maybe part everything out.

Good luck!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
With the games + Samsung LCD, you'll probably get a little more than these people are quoting, but not much (maybe $700-750 if you're lucky). If you look at the system in my sig, I built the whole thing for mid $1k, obviously not including the Dell 2405 (well, like $1,600), and that was in August. The prices have already come down a ways.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
cr2sh said:
I can get that card for $240 off of newegg. About half of what you're quoting.

The fact of the matter is, this machine is worth a lot less than what you payed for it's parts.

The avergae person who is going to buy a new pc doesn't know the difference between your board/chip and the one that cost $400 at Walmart. The person who DOES know the difference and wants a case that looks like this:

silzaliens.jpg

Either:

A. Doesn't have the cash.
B. Wants to build it himself.

Sorry, IMHO that machine is in the $650 range. Take the card out and sell it on ebay, throw in a really cheap midrange... or none at all, and sell it on ebay as well. Maybe part everything out.

Good luck!
You're probably right :( I'd be lucky to get $600 for it, minus the monitor. Though I did buy the GPU at CompUSA when I was desperate to play CS:S with sweet graphics.

BTW, it looks like this actually :D ;)
22083719.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.