*Considering to purchase a macbook, school me on the benefits/

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enycezbigd, Aug 8, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm entering college soon as it's about time i get a laptop. My school has already provided me with a laptop but i have a relative who's offering to buy one for me anyway, and i always wanted to test the switch from windows to apple. Is it worth it? My major in college does not require me to have something too spectacular like the macbook pro or anything. I'm looking to get a regular macbook, something i can carry around easily and be very satisfied with. How's the virus protection on apple ? What are the cool benefits ? Tell me anything, thank you

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, one benefit is that they're going to be updated ludicrously soon.

There is none. Because you don't need any. Because there aren't any.

3. macrumors 65816

tMac85

you wont look back. it will change your view of computers, their operating system, and apple inc. in general. wait til mid september though.

4. macrumors regular

I invite you to take a look at this site as it provides just what you are asking for.

5. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Actually according to consumer reports that is one of their "7 Online Blunders"

"According to this year’s State of the Net survey, Mac users fall prey to phishing scams at about the same rate as Windows users, yet far fewer of them protect themselves with an anti-phishing toolbar. To make matters worse, the browser of choice for most Mac users, Apple’s Safari, has no phishing protection. We think it should.

What you can do: Until Apple beefs up Safari, use a browser with phishing protection, such as the latest version of Firefox (shown at right) or Opera. Also try a free anti-phishing toolbar such as McAfee Site Advisor or FirePhish."

You can never be too careful

6. macrumors G4

No one runs virus protection software on a Mac. There are no mac viruses.

There is nothing special about Macs that make them virus free. All ofthe dozen or so common operating systems are like that. Only Windows has the Virus problem.

7. macrumors 6502

DDar

Hey, I don't mean to steal the thread here, but is there any way to prevent phishing while still using Safari?
    Because, a much as I like Firefox on PCs, I like Safari on Macs a little more. =

8. macrumors 6502

cdcastillo

And what does all that PHISHING has to do with the question of VIRUS?????

9. macrumors 6502

DDar

It's still malware? <.<''
    I dunno...

10. macrumors 65816

scienide09

I've mentioned this before elsewhere on the forums and when talking to family friends about why my switch to Macs is nearly complete.

I use both a WinXP box and an MBP at home. I spend waaaaay less time on tuning and general maintenance on my Mac then with any Windows computer ever in my possession. Even a complete reinstall and update of OS X is a breeze compared to the time it takes to reinstall and update WinXP.

The benefit for me: less time fixing my computer and more time using it.

11. macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

A cool thing I noticed when I got this computer was that there seems to be a lot more open source software for mac than for windows computers. I find that I can find almost any application I need at the time for free on the internet, while I had severe trouble finding a good range of good open source software for the PC.

12. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

are you serious?? WRITE TO CONSUMER REPORTS :rolleyes: ...maybe phishing is the 'gateway drug' then comes viruses. I dunno. But both aren't any good for you or your computer and pose a risk to the user.

But if all it takes to not be at risk for something is to change browsers, why not?? Jeez

13. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Huh, that's funny, I've used Macs for 20 years, worked at the Apple store and freelanced for mac support and have never, ever heard, seen or imagined anyone falling for a phishing scam.

14. macrumors member

phishing is a common sense thing. just look at the addy bar

15. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

You clearly don't know. Therefore you shouldn't act like you do. :rolleyes:

Phishing =/= virus

To the OP, here's another benefit: no defragging. EVER. ;)

16. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Noooo

Common sense? No way. I depend on others to protect me from my own stupid mistakes and lack of good judgment.

Apple needs anti-phishing NOW. I can't believe we have gone this long without it. If only they had made a single-core, mid-range tower, none of this would have been a problem.