Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
I am considering upgrading to a new iMac, I have a 20" Aluminum iMac that I bought in early 2008, but was the 2007 model. I am not 100% sure if I will buy one, but just wanted some opinions.

The specs are:

- 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4MB L2 Cache
- 4GB RAM (667MHz)
- 320GB Hard drive
- ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro with 256MB VRAM
- 1650x1080 screen resolution

This iMac has been great over the past 2 years, but I can't help but feel as if it's showing it's age, even though it's only been 2 years. I only have 54.75GB of hard drive space left, and it struggles at doing certain things. The spinning beach ball is a common occurrence on this machine.:(

I can't spend that much, so I've been looking at the refurbished store on the Apple online store. Is it safe to buy a refurbished iMac, and why are they refurbs?

For $1349 I can get the 21.5" iMac:

- 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
- 4GB of RAM (1333MHz)
- 1TB Hard drive
- ATI Radeon 5670 with 512MB VRAM
- 1920x1080 LED Screen

For $1549 I can get the 21.5" iMac:

- Exact same specs as above, just the core i5 instead of the core i3

OR For $1549 I can get the 27" iMac:

- 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor
- 4GB of RAM (1333MHz)
- 1TB Hard drive
- ATI Radeon 5670 with 512MB VRAM
- 2560x1440 LED Screen

The 27" will just barely fit on my current desk, and the $1549 price for either is pushing the limit, but still doable.

It's either buy a new iMac, or buy a new 50" TV.

So that's my little dilemma, sorry if that was too long. Thanks for helping if you do.:D

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I am considering upgrading to a new iMac, I have a 20" Aluminum iMac that I bought in early 2008, but was the 2007 model. I am not 100% sure if I will buy one, but just wanted some opinions.

I can't spend that much, so I've been looking at the refurbished store on the Apple online store. Is it safe to buy a refurbished iMac, and why are they refurbs?:D

This is about the only question you asked so that's what I will answer. Yes it is 100% safe to buy Apple refurbished machines. They come with the same warranty as a new machine (1 year) and as new machine are eligible to buy AppleCare to extend the warranty to 3 years.

These machines can enter the refurb program for any number of reasons including newer models have been introduced and Apple channels old stock to the refurb program and/or they are returns for ANY reason. Those reasons could (and sometimes do) include the original purchaser changed their mind, the wife got mad because he spent more money (or vice versa) and of course there could have been some manufacturers defect. In all cases these machine are thoroughly tested, repaired if needed, re-imaged and after passing more QA become available for sale.

It's really that simple.

The machines you are considering are all fine machines, which one is right for you is totally based on your individual needs. If you care to tell us more about your needs then we can help narrow the choices for you.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Stick with your imac until it doesn't do the job anymore. Go for the sweet tv for now. try to put away a few bucks (ok more then a few) every month for a new imac and in a year or two, when yours is really too old, grab a sweet USB3, blu-ray burning, 3d screen, touch screen imac.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Stick with your imac until it doesn't do the job anymore. Go for the sweet tv for now. try to put away a few bucks (ok more then a few) every month for a new imac and in a year or two, when yours is really too old, grab a sweet USB3, blu-ray burning, 3d screen, touch screen imac.

I agree. Drive one's current 2007/2008 iMac NOW - until it blows up or cannot perform your basic tasks anymore.

I believe that many PCs (Mac & Win xx systems) are at a majoring upswing in both design and ability. In addition to above points, wireless "N" will be more stable and they will support jumbo frame sizes as well. Thus, even more faster then today's iMac systems. And in the future, I'm hoping "global setting" Large Scale fonts/menus change will be available as well. Thus, true "user defined" icon and menu sizing.

If me, I'd wait for much better future systems... Especially since one's current system is "doing the job" today....

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
Yea I kinda forgot to say what I would use it for. :eek:

The usual heavy web browsing, storing/viewing lots of photos, listening to lots of music, email, School work such as word processing, powerpoint, etc. The usual things.

I'd probably do some video/photo editing (nothing too intensive though), watching HD movies from iTunes sometimes.

It is doing the job at the moment, but those 54.75GB aren't going to last me very long, because I rip all my CDs in lossless format and that eats up space like no tomorrow, plus I buy quite a few CDs, and whenever I go on vacation/trips and also concerts, I take lots of videos and pictures and that really eats up space as well.

I'm really thinking a new iMac would be ideal, but haven't decided yet.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Yea I kinda forgot to say what I would use it for. :eek:

The usual heavy web browsing, storing/viewing lots of photos, listening to lots of music, email, School work such as word processing, powerpoint, etc. The usual things.

I'd probably do some video/photo editing (nothing too intensive though), watching HD movies from iTunes sometimes.

It is doing the job at the moment, but those 54.75GB aren't going to last me very long, because I rip all my CDs in lossless format and that eats up space like no tomorrow, plus I buy quite a few CDs, and whenever I go on vacation/trips and also concerts, I take lots of videos and pictures and that really eats up space as well.

I'm really thinking a new iMac would be ideal, but haven't decided yet.

Well a new iMac would be ideal however IMHO a total waste of money. Your needs really don't tax a computer so there isn't a large need for more computing power (CPU, RAM etc..) therefore my recommendation is to invest in a good quality external HD and offload your itunes library, photos and other large files onto it. You would solve your immediate problem, save hundreds of dollars and be able to take that external HD with you when it is time for a new iMac.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
Well a new iMac would be ideal however IMHO a total waste of money. Your needs really don't tax a computer so there isn't a large need for more computing power (CPU, RAM etc..) therefore my recommendation is to invest in a good quality external HD and offload your itunes library, photos and other large files onto it. You would solve your immediate problem, save hundreds of dollars and be able to take that external HD with you when it is time for a new iMac.

Exactly. Just go and buy a 2tb external Hard Drive and everything will be good

peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.