Considering WoW...

Discussion in 'Games' started by lancestraz, Jan 14, 2006.

1. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I just got fiber-optic high-speed internet, and was looking for a good MMORPG.
    World of War Craft looks like it's the best one out there....
    But, before I spend $40 plus $15 a month, there's some stuff I want to get clead up...

(1) Do you fight mostly other players? Or random monsters.

(2) When you first start, do you get smacked around by all the other players? Or can you avoid PvP conflict if you want.

Im a peaceful guy ok! I don't like to be rushed.

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

select PLAYER VS ENVIROMENT and you'll only fight other players if you choose to.

Also prepare to trade in your scoial life for an epic mount!

:p

3. lancestraz thread starter macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

No problem there! Never had one. :D

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

WoW is a lot of fun. Everyone who's played it seems to enjoy it. But, it can become extremely addicting. I forced myself to stop playing when I realized I was spending 20-25 hours a week in Azeroth. I'm a gamer, but if you start playing WoW you won't have time for any other games.

Give it a shot. It's worth the money. Just try to keep your time "in world" at a reasonable level.;)

5. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Just expect problems.

The game has had bunches of them in the last month, apparently due to an increased playerbase.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I was also considering WoW as it is one of the very, very few mac games available off the store shelf where I live. Is there any single player, non-internet mode? Also how many editions of WoW are out there?

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

That's nothing ;) both my roommates play anywhere from 30-40 hours a week.

WoW is 100% online. No such thing as "single player mode." There is only 1 "edition", although they are coming out with an expansion later this year.

My feelings towards the game: after hearing my roomies constantly talking about it and playing it 24/7, I'm sick of it. When it first came out I wanted to play it, but I knew I couldn't because of the addiction. Now I can't stand it. The game requires TONS of time. If you're doing those high level dungeon raides, you often need around 40 very high level people (60 epics..). And that takes a lot of time to get together. You will find yourself scheduling times to play WoW, with anywhere from 4-5 hours at a time for just ONE quest.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My experience is the same. It requires a high level of commitment out of you and your wallet. I got to a level 16 Warlock after putting hours & hours in to it (not that hight I know), but then I got desperatly bored. Sick of running / flying back and forth over the same landscapes. Eventually my time commitment thinned and then completely evaported and I decided that 1-2 hours in a month wasn't enough to justify the subscription so I cancelled.

Just another point - I really think online games that require monthly subscriptions should not be charged for the installation discs....

9. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

World of Warcraft quickly lost it's appeal to me. I managed to stick with it for 3 or 4 months, and got to lvl 58, but finally stopped my subscription. I didn't have 5 hours to dedicate to a single dungeon run; gold farmers and buyers had driven up the prices of AH items; too many people viewed the game as a serious competition, and seemed to spend more time trying to get the best armor, than they did having fun. I found the dungeons to be boring and tedious, rather than exciting, which I understand considering the game is entirely online...I just don't like wading my way through hours of the same uglies for a 30 second fight with a boss...not to mention all the lvl 60 pseudo-überl33t attitudes.

My two cents, anyway. :)

10. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I loved the game until level 20, (out of 60). At first it was new and exciting, but at 20 it started to be where I couldn't play alone. You have to find groups and do whatever they want to do. I got up to level 43 or something but it was just boring. So I quit.

For a month, it's the most fun you'll ever have tho. And when you buy the game, you get a free month.

11. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Prices of items have no relevance. It's the purchasing power that matters

EDIT: Poor relation of content

12. lancestraz thread starter macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Ah... I see...
    So, your all saying that it's fun at first, then gets boring.
    Hmm.... I really dig RPGs.... But the $15 a month:(.
    I dunno.
    I guess I'l try it for a month when I get my MacBook Pro.

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

FWIW, I would recommend checking out alternatives to WoW, since IMO it is not that much of an RPG..but again, that's just my opinion.

14. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

I played it before, and it was really boring. You just go around on stupid quests desperately trying to level up. Your whole point is to level up, and its not excited at all, and the story line is almost non-existent. I thought I'd really enjoy it.... but truely, it was a waste of money.

What I would recommend is Baldure's Gate 2, which in my opinion is the best rpg game ever made.... Its so good, that you forget about trying to level your guys... you concentrate on the story and talking to people. Definetly the best game ever for me!

I don't know if you like reading, but playing BG2 is like reading a awesome fantasy novel, only better :)

-sundance kid

15. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Okay, well I'd say get it, and try the 30 days free... But you must be warned its VERY ADDICTIVE and you just might become a "hardcore gamer" :eek: I enjoy it a lot and play almost everyday (Since I have no life :rolleyes: ) and my goal is to get my Charictor to level 60... BTW: Please be Alliance :D

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I don't know whether playing WoW would suddenly make you a 'hardcore gamer'.. I'm pretty hardcore I guess, didn't stop me getting bored.........

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Like all games WoW isn't for everybody, some people find the game utterly addictive, others get bored quickly.

My advice would be to join a guild as soon as you can and find some people you like playing with, much past level 10 the quests become hard to solo, and a group can have a lot more fun that a solo. A guild will give you a group support network, often a web forum and website, and a ready pool of players.

In fact, this game can't really be seen as a solo endevour, you have work in a team to run the elite dungeons.

It's not just about levelling, if you are (or were) an AD&D player, try the RP servers (Role Playing) where you'll meet players who stay in Character all the time and won't have to deal with 11 year olds or PvP nutters who just want to gank you.

It's a great game if you like the detail, but not so hot if you like instant gratification, plus you get to make your own storylines....

18. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

It is pretty addictive.

I played for six months with numerous characters on both factions. It will take a new player about 3 months to make it to level 60 with a reasonable amount of play per week. More if you dither around a lot or do a lot of Battlegrounds like I did.

Like any MMOG it suffers from numerous problems. One is that when the servers aren't working properly, or a lot of people are online, latencies can make the game almost unplayable. Another is that, like the real world, WoW has its fair share of idiots. There are more of them on PvP servers, but still a fair amount on PvE servers. A lot of players are also very young, which can be quite trying if you are a grown up. I've often wished that Blizzard could set aside a server for over 25s so that the rest of us could avoid the endless bleating about Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel. But these are intermittent problems and can generally be avoided or don't last long (I'm currently offline due to technical problems with the last patch - the ony really bad ones I have encounted in six months - and I needed a break anyway).

But it's still a great game: probably the finest game I've ever played up until level 60. If you can find a reasonably good guild (which isn't hard), it makes things much easier since you will be able to find folks that you know and trust to do dungeons with (most of the other stuff up to level 60 can be soloed).

As for the game mechanics. They are really quite good. There are only two real problems. The first is that the Horde side tends to win almost all the Battlegrounds across almost all of the servers, unless the Alliance side has an organized guild group. No-one quite knows why this is (I suspect the population imbalance is the primary cause, but there are other theories ranging from the plausible to the conspiratorial to the openly idiotic). The obvious solution to this is to roll Horde if you hate losing.

However, the one big gripe that most people have about the game is that it changes radically once you reach level 60. After that getting new equipment is the only means of progression and it is almost impossible to get the equipment you need unless you join a raiding guild. For some reason, Blizzard has made all the high end content raid content (most of it 40 person raids). The game then becomes a grind where you repeat the same raid dungeons again and again in order to get the items you need. A lot of people like this, but many do not, mainly I think because the large numbers of people needed to to this content causes all sorts of internal conflict and politicking.

It would be OK if you could still do the PvP battlegrounds, but you will find at level 60 that if you don't have gear from raids that you will be at a massive disadvantage to people who do (gear matters that much). So there is really no alternative to raiding once you have got as far as you can with the 5-10 person content. There will be another ten levels worth of small content in the expansion, but the high end stuff will be raid content again. If you go to the WoW forums you will see that there is an endless debate about this: most of it puerile.

I'm not sure whether I will start up again. My current guild is probably month and a half from starting raids, and its a pretty good bunch of people, but I'm not sure if I want to do the raid thing.

Having said that: the game from levels 1-59 is hands down the best game you will ever play. If you don't have insane fun, you must be doing something wrong.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good advice, and probably where I went wrong. But joing a guild and making sure your online at the right time to take on the next quest/dungeon is a big time commitment. My schedule can change at the drop of a pin, you really need to be able to allocate time and make sure you keep to it for that to work. I couldn't...

20. Symtex macrumors 6502a

WoW is the easiet MMORPG out there to get a max level toon. It's a good MMORPG for new comers who never played an MMO before. Once you reach 60, you will do the same dungeon over and over and get very very boring.

If you enjoy PvP, get Guild Wars instead. It's totaly free to play online.

21. lasuther macrumors 6502a

1.) There are two main servers you can choose from. Player versus Player allows you to attack enemy players in contested areas of the map. In the areas of the map your race has control of, Players can only attack you if you attack them first. There is also a Player versus Environment server where you are not allowed to attack enemy players.

Also, there are Battleground arenas in each server where you can play games like capture the flag, and other things like that. Currently there are three type of battleground games.

I recommend the Player versus Player server as it adds a exciting aspect of interaction to the game.

2.) When you start the game, you begin in safe zones where your race controls the area. This means that the enemy cannot attack you, unless you attack them first. You can move through the first 15 to 20 levels in safe areas. After that, you enter into contested areas which can be a free for all. Initial contested areas are rather safe, from level 20 to 30. But after that, horde and alliance start to quest in the same area.

Something that can help you in these areas in the class you choose. Rogues can turn invisible, which can make them difficult to attack as well as make it easy for you to attack someone. All classes have their own special abilities to help them in Player versus Player, you just need to find the right one to fit your play style.

WoW is fun, addictive, and a great game. I recommend picking it up for the Mac.

lasuther

22. KKKL macrumors 6502

Let me tell you my real experience

At one time, after spending a whole day in wow, i logged out and went downstaires. I got headache, the landscape of wow appeared in my eyes, and i thought i was on the top of mage tower of Stormwind. So, I jump... Luckily, only had my leg injured.
    After that, i quit.

23. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Are you a mage? You should always carry feathers... ;)

24. KKKL macrumors 6502

Frost Nova first and then Polymorph :D

25. lancestraz thread starter macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Yeah that would be nice. I don't want to get stuck in a guild full of idiots.
    Maybe I should start my own... That way I can screen people.

Oh, Whats this Im hearing about an expansion pack? When is it coming out?