Console graphics and capabilities

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I've been reading a lot about how PS3 is better with this or Xbox360 is better with that and yada yada yada. In the corner of my room I noticed my old NES, plugged it in, and had some fun with Zelda, Battletoads, and Mega Man. A lot of fun.

Graphics are nice, but they have no effect on how fun a game is, and I want a fun game.

Back to Zelda.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Precisely why, short of Nintendo doing something extremely terrible for the controller, I will be buying a Revolution, in addition to anything else.

Zelda, Metroid Prime, and Mario. w00t.

Not to mention Twilight Princess... :D

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

i agree completely. a lot of the old school games are more fun the current ones out on the market. i think that the games that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes are more fun the games that might take weeks to finish. some of my favorites are tetris, ms pac man, galaga and dig dug.

4. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Me: buying Revolution, downloading Mario All Stars, playing battle mode in mario 3 for 4 days straight with everyone in the dorm.

5. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I still think it's weak that nintendo has to bring back games it created 20 years ago in order to sell a system. Im not a hater of nintendo and I absolutely loved NES, Super NES and 64, but what they have done with gamecube, the gameboys, and DS is just terrible.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd love to see some reasoning behind this :rolleyes: I've played my GameCube, GBA SP, and DS more than any other systems in the last five years. What's so terrible? The only mistake Nintendo did was the bad online support for GameCube, and in reality, only 5% of users actually played their consoles online.

7. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

1. There are fewer Gamecube games than its competition. Variety is important.
    2. I feel they focus way too much time on their portables that have the graphics of not even last generation consoles but many generations ago.
    3. It is mildly cool that you can sync your portable with your console and play your friends until you realize how much hardware and money is involved with actually doing this.
    4. The DS got crushed by the PSP and was foolish to think that gamers would want a stylus pen as a controller.
    5. They seem to target a younger audience for the most part... I know alot of people will protest this, but it is true to a degree.

I really think Nintendo would be well off to let go of the past and focus its efforts on a solid console that appeals to a wider audience than just youngsters and devoted fanboys. It's important to remember your roots and they should continue to do so with Zelda, Mario, Metroid and so on. But i really think they need an overhaul. Im rooting for nintendo and I would hate to see them go the way of Sega.

8. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

1. True. They needed more games. Here's to hoping this will happen with their new systems.
    2. Haven't we been talking about how graphics don't come even close to mattering as much as the fun level of a game?
    3. As for syncing, I sync my DS with my friends' and we play our games multiplayer. With 1 game card. With no extra things to buy.
    4. The DS got crushed? When was this? I've heard it's doing a lot better. Everywhere I see articles by people talking about the PSP being better at this or that, and on the same webpage another article talking about how it's not doing as well as Sony had hoped.
    5. Meaning they don't have lots of blood and violence? So they cut out the 20 some year old market. There are older (and younger) people than that.

While I know this specific post I'm replying to was replying to Nintendo stuff, this thread wasn't suppose to be *specifically* about Nintendo. I just mean in general, I want FUN games. All the games I've been seeing lately (with the exception of my DS games and a few other examples) are just more of the same. Better graphics, more intricate levels, but it's just more of the EXACT SAME GAME, and after awhile they aren't that much fun anymore. So yes, you end up saying "look at the graphics on this one!" because that's all that's new. And then the developers start focusing on that, and the games lose the fun aspect that you get playing the old Atari, NES, Super NES, etc games.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1. Nintendo had the best first party support and worst third party support of the current gen consoles. That is true.
    2. Don't see where you get this idea. The DS at this point has graphics better than the most powerful last generation console (the Nintendo 64) and is almost half the price the N64 launched at, has two screens, AND a touch screen. "graphics of many generations ago" is a ridiculous exagguration.
    3. So it's a gimmick. No reason to be disappointed. Just don't buy the gimmick games then, namely, Four Swords and Crystal Chronicals. I'm assuming you're talking about the GBA-GameCube Link Cable.
    4. DS crushed by PSP? I suppose thats why the overall DS sales are over twice that of the PSP, eh? I'm sorry, but if you think in terms of systems and games sold that the PSP beat the DS...you're nuts. And the touchscreen is awesome btw.
    5. Like you said, a lot of people will disagree. I sure do. Nintendo games are like others, except they just cut out the blood so that all can play it. Look at Zelda. Take Twilight Princess, add blood and guts, and you have Prince of Persia and the game would be rated M. Take out the blood and guts and replace it with 'animated violence' or 'cartoon violence' like in Super Smash Bros and its a game all ages can play.

I especially loved a recent article mentioning how with all the money Sony has pumped into advertising, the PSP is talked about twice as much but only has half the sales.

Just for proof, here's a quote from Mr. Village Idiot Himself.
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/46597/46597.html?Ad=1

This article was posted this month.

http://www.mxemu.com/news.php?newsid=1120374631

Selected quotes:
    Sorry, anyone who says the PSP is crushing the DS is going by their own personal opinion on the consoles, rather than the actual sales charts.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

YES YES YES! Old skool gameplay is incredible. back when graphics were so bad that they HAD to focus on Gameplay to warrant a purchase. i completely agree. just a few days ago i picked up Super Mario Bros GBA Classic at the airport (TAX free :D) simply because i kept meaning to plug my NES in but saw this for cheap so yea.

i also have the NES Classics Zelda (the first one) and Metroid. very awesome games unparalleled. but of course, people want killer graphics these days. its funny how many people say that gameplay is key then turn around and complain about the graphics. ie. Windwaker.

and to whoever said there is lack of games on the Gamecube; HAH. I have a nice collection of 18 or so GC games, 90% of them Cube only. and they have NO competitors in their genre. no Metroid, no Zelda, no F-Zero, no Mario Kart, no Smash Bros, no Mario Sunshine. Sure some games try and copy these but fail oh-so miserably, i mean... comparing Wipeout to F-Zero? or Beyond Good and Evil to Zelda? hah.

and for you're 3rd point (re: "3. It is mildly cool that you can sync your portable with your console and play your friends until you realize how much hardware and money is involved with actually doing this.") You dont have a DS do you? i had a little thought about how much it would cost to play Mario 64 on 4 DS's. about £520. but, thats split over 4 people and they want to play single player too. and of course there's Bomberman DS (8 players, 1 cart) and i hear Goldeneye is just as generous.

as for Nintendo going the way of Sega? um yea. with GBA and DS sales, with Nintendo being the most profitable console company? yea... of course they're going to fade away :rolleyes:

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Funny, because IMO the N64 was a piece of crap (slow, low-res, blurry 3D, gives me a headache) and the Gamecube is perfect!

As for the DS, well, there simply isn't enough games at the moment (supposed to change before christmas).

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

1. I'd still pick the Gamecube over the PS2 or Xbox any day. The Gamecube may have less games, but 99% of the games on the PS2 and Xbox are just garbage. Do you have a PC? Because it has more software than a Mac!

2. Nintendo's portable systems put priority on the most important part of a portable system: the battery life. What good is a portable system with the graphics of an ATI X800 if the batteries last 5 minutes? (i.e. SEGA Nomad)

3. Nintendo's consoles are always the cheapest. Why don't you talk about how expensive it will be to have a PS3 plus three of four PSP's for special games? You'll be able to buy a used CAR for that price! ;)

4. The DS didn't get "crushed" by the PSP. IMO you're over-estimating the PSP's popularity. Nobody is buying that thing for movies (UMD movies, yet another proprietary Sony idea like Memory Sticks) and everyone balks at the price of the system. And I'm not even talking about the manufacturing defects either. And most of the games for the PSP are simply reworked versions of PS2 games. As for the touch screen, we're starting to see games that are actually different and couldn't be made without it. At least Nintendo has enough guts to try and push innovation into a stale industry.

5. If you stop looking at the Mario and Donkey Kong games you'll see there's a lot of games not targetted at kids.

Why am I even responding to this troll anyway?! :confused:

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Which is exactly why I'm sticking with Nintendo. So far, the only innovating thing I didn't get to play (at home) was Katamari Damacy (PS2-only).

Console graphics have reached (with the next gen) a point where improvements won't get you much further, just like computers have reached a processing power peak (aside from video encoding/editing, my Mac mini is more than enough for my needs - and I play World of Warcraft on it!).

14. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Did someone mention BattleToads? :D

fanboys and trolls...

:rolleyes:

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, comparatively...
    I agree with all that stuff, but comparatively, the N64 had better graphics than all its competitors and the controller was pretty cool (depending who you asked of course). And of course it introduced analog control and the rumble pack.

16. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I don't understand how someone can say they didn't like the 64. It had the best graphics of its time and had gems such as Zelda Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye and Mario 64 which was the first mario to go 3d.

17. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Which is coming out for the DS anyways.

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I hated the graphics of the N64. As I said, it was blurry, low-res and gave me headaches. I also hated the controller (never been a fan of rumblepacks).

As for Goldeneye, IMO it's over-hyped just like Halo.

In fact, the N64 is the only Nintendo system I've never had (aside from the Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS). As for the DS, I just want a white one. :D

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea the N64, just like every single console before and after it, has its flaws and graces. Flaws like texture problems but brilliant games like the above mentioned. And im sure i read somewhere about Shigsy saying Mario 64 could not have been done on a disc based system at the time.

Got Kirby: Canvas Curse today. you want innovation try that :eek: awesome game.

oh, i have a game making rule as well (just a mad set of rules i follow which are probably very common) which is "The game must be as fun if in just 2 colours". relating back to the topic in hand.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You forgot Super Smash Bros! I still play the N64 version with friends once in a while :D

I loved the N64. Best system at the time.

So, what, you didn't own ANY consoles at the time? Because the Playstation's graphics were blurry and even lower-res; the N64 was a more powerful system.

21. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

I agree, a lot of the old school games are awesome. However, games that use the newer technology are even better.

Would you rather play Zelda on NES or Castlevania: SOTN on PS1? Both are great games, but SOTN is by far the best 2D game ever. And even games like Super Metriod on SNES are just as almost up there with SOTN.

I understand your point. UBER Graphics != Uber Gameplay. But, a lot of these high tech console systems do offer great gameplay. Even the most recent systems offer great games.

XBox: Star Wars KOTOR, Crimson Skies, Fable
    PS2: The GTA series, Metal Gear, God of War
    Gamecube: Metriod Prime, Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine

All of these listed are fun games. And they tout the awesome graphics motto.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im sorry but the entire GTA series and Mario Kart Double Dash did/do not have awesome graphics, same for MGS2. but i suppose its your opinion.

i would rather play NES Zelda. possibly the most important game in history.

23. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

My thoughts EXACTLY! I remember when the first Playstation became all the rage and all my friends had one, I couldn't help but feel that it was all hype. It didn't have any games I liked, the loading was slower than molassass and the graphics were utter tripe. All pixelated and low res.

Gah! Such a terrible system!

24. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Glad to see so many people agree that graphics just do not matter that much, and all the nostalgia about Zelda and Metroid and everything is great.

And hey, I liked Battletoads :p

25. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

GTA - one the biggest virtual worlds out there. Its a completly interactive environment - AI wise. I think they did a pretty good job. It may not be HIGH quality, but for what it does, it does it pretty well.

MGS2 - it had CG like real time graphics. Kojima and his crew did an awesome job, considering what they were working with.

Double Dash - Looked like Mario Sunshine, if not, better. I don't remeber any frame rate drops. So, again, a pretty good job.

The graphics were great AND the game play.

Again, great graphics do not equal great gameplay, but these are the exception.