console.log file 27 Gb!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcadam, May 15, 2006.

1. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

My friends powerbook suddenly claimed to be almost completely filled. I downloaded disc inventory x which could tell us that a file called console.log took up 27 of his precious Gb.

[​IMG]

Well, we kicked out the entire folder called '501', but it said it couldn't complete the process because console.log was in use!

However the rest of the contents (console.log.7, console.log.8, etc....) was erased and, even more importantly, console.log now only takes up 4K.

So problem solved for the moment. But what the heck was that and how did it get there?

A

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Sometimes log files just like to grow instantly and run away and grow bigger with every step. :).

Talk about a technical explanation.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...sometimes they just do stupid things like that. If you were really curious, you could have dug into the log to try to figure out what caused it. But that's not really worth pursuing unless it happens multiple times.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah this has happened a few times - not really a true explanation - can happen by a number of things.

5. mcadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Well, the relaxed tone of all your answers are very comforting :)

I did try to open it to see what it was, but realised it was probably silly to make his already overloaded pb open a file of 23 Gb, so we stopped that.

Thanks for taking the time...

A

6. qtpie36963 macrumors member

I have the same issue, so is it cool to delete this file?? Because mine log.7 file takes up 25 gigs on a 65gig hard drive?!? LOL... Can I delete it or will it hurt something on my powerbook?!

Thanks!!

7. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

It's perfectly fine to delete it.

8. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Yes, you can safely delete the console log files (and any other log file). Their existence is purely information.

I would personally take a look to see what is in those log files. It seems like something is repeatedly logging the same message over and over to the console log. If its an error message, you might want to know what that error message says.