Console.log is 34.6 GB!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cine, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Cine macrumors newbie

Hey! I'm relatively new to mac, and brand new to this forum.

Anyway, today I was just listening to music, and suddenly iTunes gave me an error telling me that there was not enough diskspace to save the music library. I check in Finder, and sure enough, I'm using over 74 GB of my harddisk.

Now, I KNOW that last time I checked, less than a month ago, I was using no more than approx. 45 GB. I downloaded WhatSize ( http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/13006#descContainer_link ), and it turns out that the villian is a file called console.log in /Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log that's using 34.5 GB. That's INSANE.

My question: Is it okay to delete this file without messing up the system? I usually don't venture into the Library folder. :)

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

yelp, you can trash that log file, i think it's a bug that causes the log file to accumulate to that size.

3. Arnaud macrumors 6502

The same happened to me once. Deleted the console.log file, went all ok.

4. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

5. Cine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! :)

However, when I try to empty the trash can, I get "The operation cannot be completed because the item "console.log" is in use." Even when I closed every single running application, I get that. Gah?

EDIT: I'm a moron. I restarted, and was able to delete it just fine. I'm now back to having used only 36 GB of my harddrive. Thank you for your help!

Now I'm only slightly bitter about deleting my whole directory of Lost episodes, before I found out console.log was what was eating all the space. :/

6. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

34.5 GB of text is alot of text! INSANE in your own words. Are you sure everything is ok with your system?

Maybe there is a process that keeps running itself over and over again and clutters the console logs. Check your logs next time and see if you can spot any unusual processes.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a known bug in OSX and Apple has already tried to fix it at least once. It doesn't seem to be related to any other system instabilities or problems, which is a good thing. It's pretty random and annoying, but thankfully easily resolved. In other words, don't worry about it. :)

8. ishabisha macrumors newbie

Insane log files

So I went out to a customers house today because she complained about insufficient disc space.

Her console log was 130GB!

Try to top that!

~ish

9. jmfsoc12 macrumors newbie

DONE...my mom was complaining about not having any space and her hard drive is 250GB...so anyways i check it with omnidisksweeper....she has a log.2 file that is 189GB...now that is a heck of a lot of text!!!