Console sales for August in Japan. Wow.

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Aug 25, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Those of you who said the DS would crash and burn better take a good look at this.

First week of August:

Hardware:
    Software:

Note the DS sold best with a 25% lead on the PS2 and double the PSP sales.

2nd week of August:

Hardware:

That's right. You just saw the DS outselling the PS2, PSP, GBA SP, GameCube, and XBox put together.

Software:
    Jump Superstars outsold the other top five games PUT TOGETHER. Further, the DS occupies the 1st, 3rd, and 7th slot, and GBA is 4th. PSP is 8th.

3rd week of August:
    Hardware:

Yup, the DS is STILL outselling the other consoles put together.

Software:
    Jump Superstars dropped to second place; the PSP dropped off the chart.

I think Nintendo is saying, "What competition?" about now in Japan. PSP is doing better in the U.S..

Anyway...for all the DS nay-sayers; you may not like the system, but it's doing very well. Nintendo is not "retarded" and "doomed" because of it ;)

Source: GamesAreFun.
    http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/search.php?by=News&search=japan:+weekly

The GameCube and PS2 relationship reflects the worldwide status, with the PS2 outselling the GameCube by about 4 times, but the XBox is almost nonexistant. PS2 is definitely the top console in Japan. DS is the top selling handheld.

The worldwide numbers are notable too, with the DS having a 1.2 million unit lead worldwide.

Hope someone finds the numbers interesting.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Is it any wonder I have a red phone, a red flash light, a red mouse? I don't know why, but I'm drawn to metallic red. I wonder when the red DS will be available here. :)

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

4. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I really really wish Jump Superstars could be released here in the US (Yugi, yeah!!), but alas, most likely it will not... :(

I guess I should import it. Now I wish I know Japanese.

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

[​IMG]

ARGH, I want to make that my avatar soooo badly, but it's too big in filesize.

6. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

lol, that's cool. Are those your Nintendogs, GFLPraxis?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You know what's crazy? At first when I saw that animation, I thought those are real dogs.

At first.

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, I'm in the middle of a dilemma choosing between buying Nintendogs and Advance Wars tomorrow. What to do, what to do... :(

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Nintendogs is great fun, but there are a limited number of things you can do at first. It takes time to teach tricks, build stamina, and practice with the dog disc. After your dog is trained, you can enter competitions, earn money, and buy other dogs... but it's kind of slow going at first. Best suited for casual time-wasting a couple times a day.

If you want a game that you can dive into right away and play some marathon sessions, I'd pick up AW: DS first, and save up for the 'Dogs.

10. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind - you're talking about a country that jumps all over games where your goal is to make little cartoon dicks dance around by beating drums. Not that I object to such a game...but seriously - Japan is a weird place. Only the Japanes could come up with a game like 'Mr. Mosquito'.

'Jump Superstars' is basically, every twelve year old's wet dream (and my nightmare): Every low-budget, ten-thousand-episode, DBZ-style fighting anime 'epic'...all in one game.

Of course that's going to sell like hotcakes. Being surprised at these sales figures would make you pretty dim.

That, and I guess I don't see what's so shocking about a new handheld outselling a seven year old console - especially when a 'must-have' game is released.

The PSP (which already had the cards stacked up against it) I can understand, but why even bother comparing it to the recent sales of old consoles? I mean, doesn't practically everybody in that country own a PS2 by now? I would think the real shocking numbers would be if they compared the PS2 first-six-months sales to the DS, and found that the DS outsold the PS2.

Also, on behalf of those that don't 'understand' Nintendo - I believe the argument pertains to the U.S. market - considering that is where they live. Because, really, Japan is another planet when compared to the U.S.

So, when they say 'Ninendo is retarded' - just use your mind to tag '...in the U.S.' onto the end of their statement. Because, really - they don't understand the U.S. market all that well, and aren't really selling as much as they'd like to (...in the U.S.). The acception, of course - being the 'Gameboy' (which, until recently - hasn't had a true competitor for years).

Nintendo, like Japan - is a little...'weird'. This is the same company that said - 'We cannot be last again. We must be first. We will be first...', after the failure of the Gamecube (...in the U.S.). And now, they're last again (last to show, last to release) - with Microsoft (their competitor for second place) being the first.

Not that I care about sales figures...but: The argument is - back in the day - practically everybody had an NES or an SNES. And ever since then - it's turned into - 'Yeah, my one buddy has a Gamecube'. So, whether they make money or not isn't an issue in terms of this debate. This debate is a popularity contest. To us - we view Nintendo as a dying company (...in the U.S.). Because, really - to go from number one - in terms of units, to where they are now? That's a pretty impressive decrease.

Like them or not - you have to admit that they've certainly dropped the ball (starting with the N64) and have gradually become less popular, each generation (mainly - due to lack of third parties and RPGs).

Also, that animation is hilarious.

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I think the numbers are significant, because Sony dropped a bomb in Nintendo's court w/ the Playstation and thrashed their marketshare. Nintendo still hasn't recovered...

Everyone thought Sony would do that to Nintendo's handheld market, and Nintendo is laying the ass-whooping down. PSP's american lead will soon dwindle after the holiday season too. It's just neat to see a company that lots of people, myself included, thought was down for the count, coming back to fight.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

you're surprised?

cummon. Nintendo+Handheld=world domination. and all those people saying the PSP will beat the DS. its a brilliantly advanced machine. but nobody messes with Nintendos handheld corner. nobody. not even Sega.

Whats also quite interesting is that my local Game have more preorders on the Micro than the PSP. next time im there ill see if they can give me specific numbers. but yea, some website have even taking to emailing people who have bought from its store (might be play.com) info about the PSP in order to get some orders... they didn't do that with the DS.

heres to a better UK launch than the US. hopefully they fixed the dead-pixel problem, and i hear theres a problem with the Square button? they iron them out for the UK and it should do pretty well :)

13. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Nintendo will be around for a long time. It has games no other platform offers. People get devices to play games not to marvel their specs.

So, if you don't like FPS games and you think watching movies is better on big screen TV and you listen music on your iPod and want handheld to play some turn-based strategy game while commuting to/from work, and then give the same handheld to your kids to play some non-violent E-rated game later in a day, Nintendo GBA and DS are the only choices.

PSP is probably superior in terms of graphics, screen size, multimedia and so on. But what good is that for some of us when Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, Zelda and Mario are available only for Nintendo.

14. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Aren't the Japanese all nutty over that lame looking dog game? If I wanted to play with a dog I'd play with a real one thanks.

Just wait until Crises Core: Final Fantasy VII for the PSP is out and you'll probably see a reversal.

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Oh good God, who really cares? GFLPraxis I don't care what anyone says you are the worlds biggest Nintendo fanboi ;)

I've noticed that any post about the PSP you need to come in and spread your information about the DS, Jesus who really cares? Don't worry raggedjimmi I know you come a close second ;).

16. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, I always remember Microsoft's statements when asked about making their own handheld. It was pretty much on the line of, enter a new market against a 90% marketshare? No way, we support Nintendo with handhelds and Sony is stupid to go enter the market. Hence, we have Age of Empires DS.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

but then the DS has also got FF support, Square Enix yet releasing more ports! Crystal Chronicles (which would work so well on the DS), and FF3. i much prefare the old 2D games. and feel a sigh of a laugh as Sony fanboys who complained at the GBA and DS ports/remakes now embrace the new FF7.

and the DS has Golden Sun (hopefully?) Fire Emblem and Pokemon... i suppose like nintendo itself; you either like or hate pokemon. either way. its an awesome seller.

I hate the word 'fanboy'. i like them. if people say they're retarded i'll defend them. I react, i dont act. a defender rather than an attacker. a guy says Nintendo sucks i'll say it wont. Is that a fanboy?
    But more than Nintendo i love Sega, and i like the original Xbox a lot. maybe just for a couple of games (Halo and Panzer Dragoon) but just like Zelda and Mario; there are no alternatives on the other consoles. and its fantastic to use as a streaming media centre.

so i suppose i must be a;

Mineral water fanboy
    Hugo Boss fanboy
    Apple fanboy
    Siemens phones fanboy
    Panasonic TV fanboy
    dog fanboy
    teetotaler fanboy
    Contact lens fanboy
    Freeware game making fanboy
    Wharfedale speaker fanboy
    british comedy fanboy
    Logitech mouse fanboy
    Pocket PC fanboy....
    *im bored now.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Er... far as I remember, the PS3 has a late 2006/2007 release date, whereas the Revolution has a mid 2006 release date. Plus, the reason they're not showing yet is probably to stop another Analogue Incident (for those who don't know, Ninty released the analogue-stick with the N64, but Sega copied it and released a controller for the Dreamcasts's predecessor 2 months before the '64 hit the shelves)

Also, have you noticed how we're all "Nintendo Fanbois", yet there are no "Sony Fanbois" or "XBox Fanbois"?

19. cubist macrumors 68020

Well, frankly, I'm astonished... DSs selling 80 to 100 thousand units a week?!

Hmmm... I think I know where the new software market is...

(goes browsing for arm dev tools)

20. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

As far as I remember all the dates were rumors ;)

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

LMFAO I've been called a Sony Fanboi on this forum plenty of times.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i think i pick up Nintendogs tomorrow after my mRA

23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

it's so difficult for me to bash the PSP because it is quite a system...after fiddling with my brothers for 30 minutes i got a bit jealous until i realized the price! haha woot nintendo<3

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Why does every frickin' thread on games have to devolve into a fanboi war? The DS is a cool little handheld, and you know Nintendo will bring the content. The PSP has a gorgeous screen and some bells and whistles, but not enough game content yet. But MediEvil, GTA, and GT are a-comin'. They are both slick. If you really like games how can you hate on either one of them?

25. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Here is how I see it. The PsP is pretty sweet the screen is great it looks very cool and has sense of class to it. But I didn't buy one for two reasons. One the games this is a personal choice there is no point in arguing I like the Niniteno titles better.Number two was quality, Sony gaming systems have a bad rep and the PsP just feels delicate. I knew I would scratch the screen drop it or ruin the UMD door. For me it just wasn't a practical solution. In the end I don't think it should be a one sucks the other is leet argument. It really depends on what you want to play and how you want to play it.