[console war threads] Don't you wish your console was hot like mine?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AmbitiousLemon, Mar 11, 2007.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Don't you wish your console was a freak like mine? Don't you?

It seems like the number of console war threads and posts inciting console wars in other threads has exploded in recent weeks.

I've cleaned things up here and there, but its always a bit of a mess, and I often just have to delete things.

So here is the question:
    Should we create a sticky "Console War" thread where people can have these discussions, and where mods can move posts from other threads when appropriate?

Console war posts or new console war threads would be moved to this sticky thread.

We would need your help to report console war posts quickly (so we don't have to move 100 posts, but just a few).

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Sounds like a good idea....they seem to pop up a lot, might save some time, and clean up the forum to help anyone with problems

:eek: Dam how did you find out

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like a good idea to me....But I would also like it to go away after the heat is gone..maybe it will take some of the fanboyism away from other threads...highly doubt it.

And what kind of Hot are we talking about...Tea hot or sun hot....because I'm the sun;)

Bless

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And what a magnificent thread that's going to be. Car-crash viewing... :D

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If that thread could also comprise posts of "here's what i think of this console" then yes definitely ;)

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

That would be so awesome! Then I could unblock the gaming threads and just block one thread instead! Great idea.:)

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

ah, good old schadenfreude;)
    lol. we should just make seperate forums for Wii, 360, and PS3 forums. or simply ban any and all discussion of console gaming.:p

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, and can we have a general thread for each of the consoles. I don't think "I just bought a Wii", "Where can I find a Wii" and/or "I have a rant/question about the Wii" should be seperate threads.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We should just ban console threads, they arent Macs. We should be talking Mac & PC gaming period because Macs are now Pcs. If Apple hadnt sunk to such low levels with Mac gaming we wouldnt even be talking consolitis.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Maybe we should just ban all threads that are not directly related to Apple.:rolleyes:

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes: Maybe we should make sure the new thread has room for the PC/Mac gamers.

And no, even if Macs had all the games PCs had, I'd still game on a console.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

New iMacs and ProMacs are still fine gaming machines, this constant console jabber is just a reflection of how Apple dropped the ball. Though i have used Macs for years they piss me off on gaming,Tv use, and video cards. I guess this is Apples fault that we have the never ending console talk of Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft at an Apple site. Apple deserves a spanking and a swift kick in the....:mad:

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

apparently my sarcasm went unnoticed.:rolleyes: and even if Macs had all of the games that Windows has people would still talk about console games or why do people who only use windows still buy consoles?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You honestly think Mac gaming would ever be at a point to kill console gaming? You want it like PC gaming right? Just running on OSX?

There would still be console gamers.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Hmmm. After problems with my 360, I was going to start a thread just asked for people to post their experiences with the quality of each console (works fine/had to send for repair/on my 4th etc.) to see if there's a qualitative difference in the consoles.

..but that would inevitably lead to another flame war, so perhaps I shouldn't bother.:(

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My point is if anyone is to blame for the sorry state of gaming on Macs its Apple, if Apple hadnt done so many things to shrink down its market to single digits, Mac gaming,mac developers,Mac video cards and Mac Tv tuners would be in a much stronger position. Instead we endure the console wars because Mac gaming is low on the totem pole. Anyone who says marketshare doesnt matter is a Steve Jobs brown noser.:cool:

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Sticky-ing it won't help since it will just happen anyways. If people ignore the threads they will jus go away (lol like that will happen though)

21. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

What Apple needs to do is get out there with games developers from the PC and console worlds and do an initiative similar to what Microsoft is doing with Games for Windows. Jobs needs to come down off his high horse and realize games are a big part of why people buy computers in the first place. The $1000+ apps that do everything but mind the baby while you're out are nice, but some people like a relaxing diversion now and again and some buy a powerful computer strictly for games. It's funny one of Jobs early efforts was to write Breakout for the Atari VCS and yet good games for the Mac are still thin on the ground almost 25 years later.

22. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

The idea isn't just to have a sticky. It is to use that sticky thread as a dumping ground for all the posts made elsewhere. If you guys will report console war posts quickly us mods can move them to the sticky thread out of the thread where they were originally posted. The hope would be that this would allow on topic discussions of consoles.

There was recently a thread about a cool PS3 game with a movie. It stayed on topic for awhile, and then one of our usual trolls made a snarky remark about another console and the whole thread went to hell. This is the kind of thing I would like to see avoided.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

we've been been over this topic before too. not going to happen.

On Topic: i think it might help, so long as people too a more proactive approach in reporting the posts to be moved. and i supposed there would be a need to have a bit clearer understand of what should be moved to said thread as well.

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It says Amiga on that poster :eek:

Good idea Mr. Lemon! I hope this megathread gets as enjoyable as thread #500