consolidating my macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Dec 28, 2006.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    Hiya :)

I've just started my own buisness and having troubles with my macs! im using a dual g5 2ghz with 3gb ram in my office and 800mhz g4 ibook at home.

The problem is i have information stored all over the place, different emails on different pcs etc..cant get files i need when im at home etc.

SO im thinking of selling my g5 and ibook and getting a new macbook pro/macbook and plugging into external monitors for that desktop computer feel whilst at work...and using the macbook for EVERYTHING.

Just wondering if people think this is a good idea, or should i just sell the ibook? Im worried about photoshop performance under rosetta, but im not doing anything too drastic and dont mind a brief wait for any filters

ANY advice at all would be most welcome, it would be such a shame to loose my g5 its a cracking machine, im not sure if would hold much value to sell on?

MAny THanks guys!

River Cottage
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i think this is a great idea - it's simple and it'll work well... make sure to get the biggest hard drive possible (or an external hard drive, if you don't mind carrying it around) and max out the RAM (at least upgrade to 2GB if the machine you're planning to order comes with less).

Photoshop should work fine and CS3 should be out soon so you won't have to worry about Rosetta then.

you should be able to get a fair price for the G5. for the iBook, don't expect too much but don't settle for pittance.
  3. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    If you use the macbook pro for everything, I would follow the advice of pianoman and upgrade to get lotsa ram and disk.

But also invest in a good external backup disk and utility, and make regular backups !!!

I actually have two external hard disks, and I alternately back up to one or the other (but only every two months or so, i know i know...)

But at least I've got something in case anything happens !!
  4. rivercottage thread starter macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    THanks for your replies, it seems like a good idea in my brain, have everything in a box that i can take wherever im working. The ibook is ok for web but 1024 x 768 doesnt realy cut it for design.

Oh yes ill definatly get some external disks for backup :) ohhh it will pain me so much to see my g5 going away :-( i may just wait till after jan and see if steve will come out with something to tempt me! 15" or 17" or maybe even the ibook may do it these days, the only difference i can realy see is the graphics card and size of screen, im not sure if thats worth the extra £500ish

the mind rambles!

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    This is an option, but you can also make your G5 as a fileserver, and sync your files everytime you come in the office. Also you can make a remote connection with your G5 over internet. None the less, make regular backups, even if your G5 is the file server!
  6. rivercottage thread starter macrumors member

Dec 28, 2006
    Hi thanks for that its a good idea!

Although transfering raw photos over the internet may be rather slow :-( Its looking like going the macbook pro route is the route, its this damn 1024x768 thats driving me mad right now sat at home aghghghghghghghghhhh