Constant Errors burning DVD's on iMac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jovian9, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This past week I have been getting nothing but errors when trying to burn DVD's with my iMac G5 and Toast.
    With TDK 4X DVD-R's I can't burn using Toast
    With Memorex 8X DVD-R's I can't burn using Toast but I can burn using iDVD.
    With Target Brand 4X DVD-R's I can burn using Toast (but I ran out so I can't test those again).

My Toast burns will go until there is around 10 minutes or so left and then error. I am attaching a 'Grab' of the error. These same DVD-R's work fine when I use my PowerBook. Both systems are up to date.

Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

One more thing....
    The TDK's mentioned above had been used before with Toast and they worked fine.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i had the same problem but with cd-r on my pb. i found some help on here
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/

the problem was the media was using didn't like my my drive.

4. austink macrumors newbie

I haven't had any issues burnning with toast. I find that with dvds especially I set the burn rate to the specific dvd rate instead of max burn speed also might want to check other pre burn settings. Also when you first put the dvd in what do you choose in the os option for the dvd?

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I've had problems on a couple different machines with Memorex and TDK media bought at discount department stores. I've switched to Ritek/Ridata and haven't had a failed burn since. I have a G5 PM, iMac G5 and soon to be decommissioned XP box. Two out of the three have Pioneer DVR-107D burners.

6. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have been burning dvd's on Macs since early 2002 and have never had this problem. My iMac G4's or PowerBooks have never had problems with TDK or Memorex media (bought at Target and Best Buy). My G4 iMacs had Pioneer drives but my PowerBook and iMac G5 have Matshita......and this media works with my PowerBook. I always set my burn rate to 2X (on 8X or 4X media) b/c I've never been able to get a dvd @ 4X to burn on any Mac with Toast b/c it will always error. The OS options ask me what to do with blank disks, but that does not happen when Toast asks me to put in a DVD.......it automatically reads the DVD in Toast when it's ready to burn.

Shouldn't iMac G5 drives be MORE compatible with todays media than iMac G4 drives were?

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I got a very similar message (though I think it complained about a buffer underrun, and not illegal operation) when I first tried using Toast to burn a dvd from my iBook G4 onto a 4x That's Write DVD-R (cheapest I could find) using a borrowed LaCie d2 4X DVD±RW FW. I just tried again, but as Jovian, set the write speed to 2X (stood at max), and I've ever had any trouble since.

Burning a full DVD at 2X only takes me about 27 minutes, about as expected, and although it woud be nice to have it done in under 15 minutes since both the media and burner claims to be 4X, I think it's an OK price to pay when using blank DVD-Rs that cost less than NOK 3 (roughly 50 cents) each.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I routinely burn 8x +-R media at full rate without a failure, with the media stated above. There is absolutely no reason why you should buy ?x media and have to derate the burn speed to have it succeed. If it's 8x media, you shouldn't have to burn it at 2x to get consistent burns. What's that about? You pay for media rated at a certain speed, then you burn at .5 or .25 of that rate and claim success? I disagree that a Mac can't burn at the speed of the rated media, it just has to be decent media. As I said above, I've been using Ritek/RiData media in my G5 PM and it *always* burns at full rate, successfully, every time. It's not the Mac, it's your bogus media (having to burn at half the rated speed is, to me, bogus media). I think the QA on the discount store media is sh*t. I have Ritek -8x media that *always* burns at 8x, successfully, on my Mac. IT'S NOT THE MAC, IT'S THE MEDIA.

So, Ritek media (-R x8) for US$ 0.56 each in 50 - 100 quantity is expensive, compared to the discount store crap? I think not.

Edit: I always leave Toast at "Best" burn rate, as it should be. I burn a full DVD in just over 6 minutes.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I can see your are open minded, and never considering the fact he might have a bad drive.

10. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I understand that better media may be the way to go....but like I said, I've used lots of media on my iMac G4's (which are older Apple computers) and never had this problem. This media also works on my PowerBook with a Matshita drive (like the iMacs but 2X instead of 4X). Also, the media sometimes works in the iMac G5 and sometimes doesn't.....sometimes in Toast and sometimes in iDVD. If the media is so bad, why does it sometimes work?

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Poor QA, I guess. The drives that are successfully burning your media may be more forgiving about media, compared to your newer drive. I've seen Pioneer drive firmware updates that say thinks like: "improved 4x burning with Co_XYZ media". So, it appears that there's a certain amount of magic, still, between drives and media. I also think the slot loading drives are sometimes more fickle. Obviously, I don't have a real answer for you.

12. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I was able to burn a Memorex 8X DVD-R at 2X speed with Toast 6 on my iMac G5 yesterday......the same media that was not working with Toast when I started this thread.

So apparently my iMac G5 can burn whatever media I'm using whenever it 'feels like it' and error when it doesn't.

It sure doesn't seem like a media problem when the media works sometimes.

13. firebatbird macrumors newbie

FAST DVD COPY

Hi everyone, i have copied a dvd onto an apple dvd-r disc with FAST DVD
    COPY, which plays fine on my imac G5 but will not play on my ps2 or dvd player as a message comes up saying cannot read disc,can anyone help?.

14. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I would love to help but I do not have FastDVD Copy.....a ripoff for the price they charge for that app. I've used many DVD-R's in PS2's burned on Macs.....so perhaps it is the application that is burning a disc that the PS2 cannot read.