Constant fan activity on new PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by marc.hermann, Mar 28, 2005.

1. marc.hermann macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone,

on Thursday I bought my very first Mac, a Powerbook 15 (1.67, SD, 128MB, 80GB, 1.5GB). I am very happy using MacOS and generally enjoy the Mac experience.

BUT: The fan of the PB starts as soon as I turn on my Powerbook; not hair-dryer style, but still very noticable (and annoying). I guess this can't be normal, because so many people were writing theirs was very silent even upon close aural inspection. I can hear mine from 2 yards away :(

CPU is usually around 3%, peaking at 20%. I have reset everything there is (nvram, pram, full reset) without any success. Is the thermal sensor of my PB broken?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Marc

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Have you tried looking in the Activity Viewer to see if a proccess is taking up the CPU's time?

It seems that in order to keep the PB cool Apple has lowered the temperature for the fans to kick in so I've found that they go off a bit more often

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

How hot is your environment? I sometimes Fold on my PB 1.33 Ghz and the fan hardly if ever kicks in.

4. marc.hermann thread starter macrumors newbie

Activity Monitor shows that my PB is preety much idling around with nothing to do.

Phone support told me to go to an Apple Store tomorrow and listen to other powerbooks. That's what I'll do.

Cheers,
    Marc

5. marc.hermann thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty cool, actually. Maybe 20 C, maybe even less.

How can I check the CPU temperature?