Constant HD use

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ifjake, Jun 27, 2006.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

I've been noticing recently that my hard drive is constantly doing intermittant writes for reasons I don't really understand. From activity monitor, my guess is a process called mdimport is the culprit, but I don't really know how to find this out for certain. In any case, what's the deal? I'm guessing that that process has something to do with spotlight, but my drive was indexed already, and it even happens when i'm not even doing anything with the computer. It's odd.

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Last year I bought a 60gig 7200 Hitachi drive from an Apple reseller. New. Thought it was the regular 7K60 drive. Turns out it was the E7K60 drive, the "E" being the problem. It was on all the time and running too hot. Turns out this is a "blade server" drive and Hitachi does not recommend it for laptops. Being a server drive, it is constantly spinning up, ready for use and ready to be used in cool environments. Don't know if that's your problem or if it is the OS, though.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah google suggests that mdimport is a spotlight process.. try disabling indexing on that drive and see what happens (you can always enable it again afterwoods ay:))

4. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess that'll be a temporary solution, if only just to see if that is the source of the HD writing. i actually use spotlight. How does one go about disabling spotlight indexing on a drive?