Constant HDD Writing in my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jephyb, Jan 20, 2007.

1. jephyb macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I purchased my mac pro about 3-4 months ago and am very happy with it. I have 3GB of ram and the stock nVidia card. Only problem is, for whatever reason, my harddrive will almost constantly sound like it's writing data to itself. This happens at random intervals and even if I have no other apps running. I opened activity monitor during one of these sessions and sure enough, it was writing some arbitray data to the hard drive. Since my hard drive is pretty loud, it gets very annoying...it actually woke me up this morning and I had to shut off my computer.

Really, any solution would be of help. Any way I can tell what data it's "writing?" I have about 30GB dedicated to Windows via BootCamp, but I dunno if that would have to do with anything. It also slows down the rest of the computer while it's doing this...i.e., programs take longer to launch, games run choppier, etc... Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff.

2. kbear2 macrumors newbie

Well, one thing that might be going on in the morning is the maintenance tasks that the OS performs. The default time usually starts around 3:15 AM and does things for awhile on my machine. (I hear it on my 9600 SCSI drives but don't on the quieter SATA drives on my DA).

You can reset times for those activities with various third party apps or through the terminal.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388