CONSTANT internet disconnection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameismatt89, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

hey all,

just recently i have been noticing that the interent keeps disconnecting. I get signed out of Adium, the internet will not load webpages, and other situations. Im not sure what to do about this problem. At first i thought it was the wireless internet and it was just a weak signal.. but i then later discovered that this was not the problem. If it makes a difference i updated the latest OSX update that there were many posts about with people having problems. But this disconnection problem occured even before the update. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS???

Thanks, Matt

2. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

oops.. im sorry to post it twice.. the disconnection problem happened again and i guess i must have clicked SUBMIT THREAD twice.. haha sorry

3. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh also.. is there any kind of 'reapair remissions' or whatever its called, or some type of system scan to make sure everything is ok (not virus scan) or anything like that???

thanks again, matt

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I can't help you on the internet front, however I can with the other questions.

There is a repair permissions function in Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility but this will not scan your harddrive for viruses. There is no need to do this with a Mac. However, if you feel the need to be overly-cautious, download a program called "clamav" and scan with that every week or so. It's one of the only free and good virus scanning programs for macs... as they're virtually useless.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

The problem is more likely with his ISP. I had constant disconnecting when I first got wireless DSL a few years ago and I had to call the ISP and have them bug the line - something was wrong with some port somewhere. Might be a good place to start - tell them the issue and see what they say.

7. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have airport.. i have only used what came with my ibook and that is airport. There are two other computers hooked up to my home network and they seem to be working fine.

8. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

well it appears i do not have disk utilities, perhaps i accidentally deleted it. I went to the apple.com's downloads page and found a bunch of disk utilities programs.. which do you recommend i download??

Thanks, Matt

9. CamH macrumors member

If you really did delete it... it's probably on your OS X disk.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Make sure your airport base station and the most recent firmware. I had this problem with my base station it fixed it when I upgraded to the lastest firmware.

11. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

you should always download the newest firmware for your base station. ..or something. But yes, if it's the newest version, then download it. That fixes many problems.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You do know that is for the powermac G5 NOT the ibook. Unless you meant for a G5.

I was talking about the airport firmware. You should log in to your airport and check its version of firmware.