Constant reindex of spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SC68Cal, Apr 2, 2007.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Okay,

Spotlight is acting up. I tried searching for something and spotlight goes offline to reindex my filesystem. Literally a minute later it's ready. Try searching again, then it decides to reindex it again!

It's been doing this for probably a few hours now. Did the whole remove index thing, turn off spotlight and then turn it back on. Not having any luck.

An example:

I searched for "java" and I get results, then suddenly it'll close out and reindex again after it goes about 4000 results.

Help?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try removing com.apple.spotlight.plist from the Preferences folder and then reindexing Spotlight again. Give it a few hours to complete the index. :)

3. SC68Cal thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry to drudge up an old thread.

It took nearly 24 hrs for spotlight to build up the content index. I believe that Spotlight does a simple index just to build up a database for filenames and locations, then it will work in the background munching on metadata and content inside of pdfs and text files.

I just have, a lot of text files and such. Lots, and lots, and lots.

I've never experienced a full-reindex, and I never knew how much junk I've accumulated over the years.....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's still a pretty long time. Is it all working for you now? :)

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea, I'm curious if that worked for you, because I'm having the same problem, and it didn't start until I started using filevaut........

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

FileVault is buggy. There are a few cases on these boards of people losing their data from messed up encrypted Home folders. If possible, keep your secret information in an encrypted disk image on a regular non-FileVault account. It's much safer and involves the same encryption. :)