Constraints on iMac Shipments Soon to End, Claim Parts Suppliers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Recent production problems with the 2012 iMac have largely been solved, suggesting that supply constraints may ease, according to a report from China Times, summarized by BrightWire.
    [​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook noted in last week's analyst call that iMac shipments would remain constrained through Q1, with the company giving this as a large part of the reason for selling 1.1 million fewer Macs in Q4 2012 compared to Q4 2011.

Currently 27-inch iMacs are showing delivery times of 3-4 weeks, with 21.5-inch models showing 2-3 weeks.

Article Link: Constraints on iMac Shipments Soon to End, Claim Parts Suppliers

2. macrumors 6502

And then hopefully we will see the new thin thunderbolt display this year :)

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

Sheesh. By the time these iMac constraints disappear, Apple will be updating the line! ;-)

5. macrumors member

Oh... Tim Cook

It was clear that the new iMac wasn't ready in November. Launching a major product line with only a few hundred thousand units in stock during the holiday quarter? That caused a 700,000 iMacs backlog which Apple has to fill.

Looking back, it would have been better if Apple simply specs-bump their iMacs to Ivy Bridge some time in the summer, which was dead-easy to do. Then announce the new design when Haswell is ready. They have ample time to iron out the production issues and still have computers to sell.

What is Tim Cook thinking lately? The Maps fiasco (which you can reasonably blame Scott Forstall when he told Cook "it's ready"), and now the iMac conundrum.

6. macrumors regular

I completely agree with this. I think it's way too early to judge Tim Cook overall, but this was a major and avoidable screw up. The previous body could have been upgraded to Ivy Bridge and new GPU last summer, so they would have had ample stock for back-to-school and the holidays. As it was, they were selling old tech for back-to-school and next to nothing for the holidays. I expect more from a supply chain guru. And now how long will the upgrade cycle be for Haswell, which drops this summer?

7. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah, looking back that definitely looks like the wiser move. My only thought, no reason for apple to wait for haswell (summer). If they updated iMacs last summer they could easily announce/release new iMacs around the now/February timeframe. New design, SSD, and fusion drive would be enough reason to update.

8. needfx, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

macrumors 68030

needfx

there are people in agony close to you

support your local mac relief NGO

9. macrumors 6502

arrggg... I'm disgruntled that 2 year old iMac DVD drive doesn't work anymore (IT'S LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD!!!!!).
    Why should I give you more $ Apple, where's the quality!?!?!
    :mad:

10. macrumors regular

petsk

It's now the seventh week I'm waiting for my iMac and it will take another few weeks before I get it according to my premium reseller. Nice work crapple!

11. macrumors 6502a

Was Cook in charge of logistics when Steve had to back off of the 450 mhz G4 and ship the 400 mhz instead? And when Steve had to stand on stage and apologize for not hitting 3Ghz with the G5? Seems this is just history repeating itself.

12. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Bless you sir. :cool:

13. macrumors newbie

you forgot about the retail exec hiring.

14. macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting, credit card in hand. And hopefully a new Mac Pro to go along with it!

15. macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wonder where the bottleneck is.

Displays?
    Casings?
    Components?

Availability is probably the biggest reason for the iMac sales drop last qtr, followed up by a shift toward mobile. I think more people just want Macbooks, iPads and iPhones over desktops.

16. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

Nice.

Time to start the climb up the hill once more. :apple:

----------

Displays. :apple:

17. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

Components are just PC components.

Display? Maybe, as it is much thinner. Same goes to Casings.

My guess is on Displays. Apple has this thin, edged, aluminum manufacturing process down pretty well with all. But Apple tends to have a hard time with display yields across all products.

18. macrumors 68030

While you might think that, it's very hard to believe that Cook doesn't get a beta of iOS to look himself.

It'd be even more worrying if he was surrounded by yes men so much that nobody else pointed out how bad it was.

19. macrumors regular

CaptMike

Exactly!!!!

There will be a new version out by the time I receive my current order.

20. macrumors 603

troop231

Looking forward to ATD instead :)

21. macrumors 68000

The older design with upgraded components, DVD, and FW800 would have been a better machine too.

22. macrumors 6502a

mr.steevo

Yup.

Or when the Cube came out of the box with hair line cracks? Or how about when the G5 iMac capacitors exploded? This kind of stuff happens all the time but the difference then was that no one was paying attention to Apple. Now Apple sneezes and it's stock drops 15%.

23. mbh
    macrumors 6502

I hope someone at the shareholder's meeting gives Tim a surgically precise earful about this screwup. There's no reason for a company with Apple's resources to go into a holiday period with no stock of an iconic product. What good is "thinner" if you can't even buy the darn thing?

24. macrumors 6502a

While it is easy in hindsight to pick apart the decisions made here it would have been more difficult judging when to release the new design before hand. The main reason for supply problems with this new design was an issue ramping up production. This would have been difficult to predict when the decision to release was made as much of the production engineering would still be being done. These things have to be decided way before anything is production ready and it is normally not a good idea to sit on designs for too long because they get leaked and the competition have more time to catch up. Apple designs normally push production engineering technology to the limits which is why it usually takes a year or so for the competition to come out with similar designs, this is another reason why they bring product to market sooner rather than playing it safe.

25. macrumors 68000

Every company has quality problems. Apple has fewer than any other computer manufacturer according to Consumer Reports. It's a good idea to purchase the 3 year AppleCare plan with all hardware. It would not only replace your DVD, but it provides full genius and phone support for the 3 years. A really good deal.