Consumer HD Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kgarchar, Nov 12, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

So I have this nice big display, and a nice big HD tv, but a POS camcorder.

I'm in the market for a nice HD camcorder, but nothing too fancy.

Would a HDR-HC3 Be a good choice for me?

What's the best price that these are going for about now? I've seen some around the $550 price range, is this decent?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The HC3 is nice, it's about the best HD rig you can get for a modest sum.

$550 sounds impossibly cheap - your link is malformed however.
    It's $1,149 at a reputable seller B&H
    Remember that the lowest priced vendors in the camera business are the ripoff artists and sharp dealers. Typically, the price is a loss leader, and if you don't plump for a bunch of expensive accessories, then you find that the camera is out of stock, a foreign model with no warranty, missing batteries, software and all manner of things what are supposed to come with it, used, refurb, exorbitant shipping and 'insurance' costs, or any combination of the above.

3. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

damn links being too good to be true

well it doesn't look like I'll be getting an HD camcorder anytime soon (considering the fact that my price range is like $600 max)

i also fixed the link

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

If your budget is under $600 stick with mini DV format. If you can find a used VX1000 you can get outstanding picture quality for your budget if you shop. They've just come down into this price range. Look at 3-CCD DV format camera if image quality is your main criteria.

But even the mid range consumer grade cameras can make some nice images if you stay within their limits. I picked up a demo TRV33 for about $200. In good (bright and soft) light with a lens shade and a good external mic and a camera suport (of any kind) in makes good quality.