Consumer Reports iMac G5 cover story: Macs more reliable tha...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 4, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Category: Reviews
    Link: Consumer Reports iMac G5 cover story: Macs more reliable than any PC, vs. 60,000 viruses for Windows
    Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

iMac G5 on Cover of December Consumer Reports Magazine

Mac News Network reports that the iMac G5 will grace the cover of the December issue of Consumer Reports Magazine, due out this week. According to MacNN, the caption will read "Unspectacular results for Intel's new processor. Plus 59,940 reasons to reconsider Macs." and the article will contain these comments:
    In this atmosphere of low expectations, Apple Computer has actually raised its support satisfaction for desktop computers over the past three years to levels well above all competitors, while offering the most reliable desktop hardware.

Another factor working in Apple's favor: Macs are vulnerable to few viruses and little spyware because both target mostly Windows-based users. Symantec, maker of Norton AntiVirus, says approximately 60,000 viruses aim at Windows-based PCs, but about 60 target Macs.​
    Despite not giving Apple and Mac OS X some of the credit for operating system security in comparison with Windows, this type of quotation and the iMac's featured position in the issue being released as the holiday buying season begins are certain to boost Apple's visibility and sales.

Three months ago, in the September 2004 issue, Consumer Reports rated Apple as the #1 manufacturer for both technical support and repair history, for both desktop systems and laptop systems, based on their annual subscriber survey.

Consumer Reports, published by Consumers Union since 1936, has over one million subscribers and is arguably the best known and most trusted independent source of consumer information in the United States.

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

this is great exposure, regardless...

but one question - 60 viruses target macs? what 60?

3. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

great exposure to make hackers want to rid us of a virus free world...(only kidding)

and as mudbug said....WHAT 60? probably just being safe with numbers, but stilL!

4. macrumors 68000

Earendil

Right. Perhaps they are counting trojans and worms in there as well, as is often all too common? In that case give me a few minutes with AppleScript and you can make it 61...

~Tyler

5. macrumors 6502a

macridah

the vaccine for windows is a mac ... hah

6. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That would mostly be the ones that worked on OS 9 and lower, including quite a few that stopped working under System 7. To get the number up to 60 you have to include stuff like Word exploits and the Entourage worm.

7. Moderator emeritus

The number is 42 for the original Mac OS. (That sounds familiar. :D)

With the MS Office viruses available, Mac OS historically could have over 5000. Whether any of the MS Office viruses do anything on the Macintosh version, I don't know.

8. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

nVIR could be one, two or 14 viruses depending on how you count, and so on. That's where the biggest count differences come from.

9. Moderator emeritus

Say what you will but until Mac OS 9.x, Virex listed 38 native viruses.

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

60 must be OS 7-9 viruses--few of which could do much or anything even if you DID have Classic installed (not the default) and had it running and accessed the 'net with it. A lot of those really old viruses spread by disk not net!

Anyway, considering how reluctant CR has always been to admit Macs have good points, this is a nice shift. Not long ago at ALL they were complaining that the iMac G4 lacked a floppy drive, forcing you to spend money on one :) When I get my copy I'll see if they say the same about the G5 :rolleyes:

Also, despite seemingly providing basic guidance for NON-techie shoppers, they historically offer NO advice on choosing an OS, and dodge the issue by rating Macs against other Macs, as if the only person who'd buy a Mac is a special type who "you know who you are." In fact, the non-techie types could really benefit from a Mac, and CR ought to point that out instead of siding with the low-quality monopoly. If THAT changes and they offer a fair rundown of Mac vs. Windows, I'll be especially impressed.

Anyone have their copy yet?

11. Moderator emeritus

I think they should have stayed with rating toasters. They're much better at that. ;) It's nice to see that they've gone out on a limb but it always seems to me that they're a pointless group.

12. macrumors G5

nagromme

I wouldn't say pointless, but I see a lot of errors and odd omissions in tech reviews--and it makes me wonder how many more errors there are that I don't know enough to spot. Examples: a whole big spread on digital home movies, reviewing different software... and never mentioning that you need a computer with Firewire! And big details wrong on some products--like the digital camera I own (Pentax Optio S, S4, and S4i DO have manual controls--great TINY cameras!)

Still, this may be the day people finally BELIEVE me when I say Macs don't have the Windows virus problem :)

13. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    this is good exposure. at least gone are the days of fervent mac bashing!!!

14. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As a long-time subscriber, I've seen CR become more and more accepting of the Macintosh difference.

I remember when they downrated Macs for "missing" one piece of standard equipment: the floppy drive. The CR reporters couldn't see that letting consumers purchase a low-tech, problem-prone, and soon-to-be-out-of-date component separately (i.e., only if needed) and encouraging networking and higher capacity removable media was a forward-reaching move that benefited consumers more than it inconvenienced them.

These days, CR seems much more in tune with what really matters when evaluating a computer purchase.

15. macrumors 6502

It is good to see the iMac keep building up popularity, and support from general windoze based magazines. Apple have always had the better product, and today it is time to see the IT world see this too.

The virus issue it an interesting one. As far as I knew there were no known Mac viruses, at least for Max OsX, which is the only version of Mac Os I have really used. I believe the high (is it at 60?) number of viruses to be a number carried over from the classic versions of Mac os. OsX has so far been impenetrable for virus compiler's, or it is because they cant be bothered learning PPC code, and thus the operating system.

16. macrumors 68000

Yes, it would be a sad day indeed if a true Mac user wrote a nasty virus. We have better things to do than begin the slow erosion of our community.

17. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is good news. Hopefully the iMacs will now sell very well, but I thought they were still struggling with demand at the moment? Sounds like Apple needs more factories!

The virus thing is probably just a comparison - the 60 figure is probably just plucked from thin air, based on it being that sort of ball park (i.e. that factor of 10). The 60 has a simple relaitionship with the 60 000 or whatever number they gave for the Windows PCs. Granted, a couple of these things are a little misleading - it's probably all classic Mac OS viruses.

Still, good coverage for the US. Now lets get some of this in the UK please. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

There are some people still who think that Apple never produce a new OS after 9, I've got some critics about the OS GUI and how win 98/ME is far better than X ... Those morons...! Apart of the media, apple should start some real campaign on "how to's" with iLife.

19. macrumors 6502

That is a variation of my point. I believe the Mac community to be more closely knit than its windoze counterpart. There are a few Mac people out there that actually use Macs only because they have to. I went to high school with a person (name withheld) who bashed Macs on his back-foot, whilst on the front foot needed them for Film and Media at University, and I eventually sold him my Lc2, which limped him through Uni. Recently catching up with him, he has a dual Xenon home computer with an Alpha build of Long Horn as his main Os, using Dual 2.0s at work, and still a Mac hater. He believes he has made a Mac virus in his spare time using believe it or not, Visual Basic. Go figure.

The Mac users are loyal, and when our user base grows, we will become even bigger, and maybe take that lucrative 5% :cool:

20. macrumors regular

mactarkus

Long-time CR Subscriber

I received that issue about three days ago so it's hardly a rumor. I was pleasantly surprised to see the iMac G5 on the cover -- a small picture but there nonetheless. Inside the magazine is the title "COMPUTERS: Shiny Apple". Though CR has been pretty fair to Macs over the years they still point out a few things, which are a little misleading:

When talking about switching, "..you'll likely need new software and spend time converting your existing data files." and "Mac users also have fewer choices in software." They also write, "The computer costs more than a similarly featured Windows PC..."

Yes you *might* need new software but that's highly situation dependent. As for converting files? It's been some time since converting files was necessary with standard file formats being well, standard. Costs more? That's a loaded statement right there, and we all know you get what you pay for. Obviously CR is taking a simplistic view on costs and not factoring in the value of included software, ease-of-use, and TCO.

21. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I think Apple doesn't want to promote the Mac platform themselves - they are relying on their user base and other organizations (such as Consumer Reports) to do this for them. It's a different way to market, fitting of the Apple "Think Different" slogan - how effective this approach is at luring new customers to the Apple Macintosh platform is unknown, due in large part to the fact that the marketing is distributed - thus there is no central body to collect marketing numbers.

22. macrumors regular

mactarkus

Anybody find a source for the actual number of *OS X* viruses?

If someone can quote a source, I'd be happy to submit a letter to the editor at CR to clear up their numbers and set the record straight. However, Mac users being true to their machines will probably beat me to it.

23. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

There are currently 0 viruses and 2 exploits/trojan horses for Mac OS X. One of the trojan horses is Opener. The other one is older, and I can't find any links nor do I remember its name.

24. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is certainly good news but will probably produce nothing other than some bragging rights for us.

CR has a pretty small readership. That being said, unless the review does anything to dispel the fallacies about the Mac that exist (no software, can't connect to the Internet, too expensive, not compatible in a Windows world) I don't see it doing much good to help increase market share.

Edit: Oh well, after seeing the quotes posted a few posts up, there goes that.

We won't even get into the fact that people can't see, feel, use or buy Macs where they buy PCs. There are too few Apple stores and even with the min store concept, having Mac only stores feed the fallacies. Look at the software selection at the Apple Store, anemic at best. Why not have Windows boxes set up to show people how nice Macs play in the sandbox with them?

Note to Apple, please take this excellent press and start SHOUTING your advantages from the rooftops. At least that would be a start.

25. macrumors regular

mactarkus

Virus Numbers

Where did you get this?

A quick Google got me this great article. It's a bit old, but someone could do the same process today and see where we stand:

The Mac Observer