Consumers want music mobile iPods

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 20, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

by 'mobile' I assume they mean a PDA, or Palm device - just difference in terminology for different sides of the pond - or am I off?

3. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

4. macrumors 6502

Moonlight

Cell phones ?

I thought they ment Moblie phone. Like a iPod/Phone...sort of what moto and apple are trying to do. I think Apple should make Cell phone OS's myself. They suck so bad right now !

5. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, the terms are a bit confusing right now since PDAs and phones have been merging. The rest of the world runs roughly a year or two ahead of the US in getting the new toys (foot-dragging by carriers, and the gap is wider if you include early adopters), so these articles can have kind of a science fiction feel to them from a US point of view.

6. macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the most nonsensical headline I've read in a long time. I still don't quite get what it means.
    :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 6502

iPod - phone, not happening. But then again I don't like the PDA - phone thing; If I'm on with a client and need to look something up . . . if I'm in a mellow grove with some Miles I don't want some ring tone snapping me back to reality.

8. macrumors member

Am I the only one who wants a cell phone that's only a phone? I just want to be able to make calls, not the bajillion other things that cell phones do now.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

The time will come when a device can, from a technical perspective, do all these things WELL and still be SMALL. When that day comes, buying--and carrying--multiple devices will become less popular. When typical phones have 20 GB hard disks, the role of music players is bound to change (for mobile phone users). And I hope some of those new do-it-all devices will have Apple ease of use!

But that day is a long way off, and combining everything in one does NOT make sense now. A do-it-all-device would end up being too big and doing nothing truly well, like the iPod does music well. So for now, speculating now on what Apple might do in five+ years is fun, but pure sci-fi :)

When it can be done WELL (I nominate Apple) and at about iPod size, with decent battery and reception, I'd love the following in one device: a) phone, b) PDA, c) 10 GB+ music player, d) 2+ megapixel camera with flash and decent optics.

I want all those things with me. For now, that means carrying a bunch of stuff--and so I don't bother. But one day...

10. Moderator emeritus

UK: mobile = cell-phone

As in: where did I put my bloody mobile?

Currently in UK, top line models do texting (SMS), WAP, Bluetooth, video & picture messaging, games, simple PDA stuff... oh, and phone calls.

There may be one or two out there that act as MP3 flash players but they're not a big thing. Everybody wants an iPod!

11. macrumors member

I am waiting for the day that this comes true. I will buy a motorola cell phone on this day.

12. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

As will I. I'm trying to make my T720 last as long as possible and I'll be one of the early adopters of the new phone. Assuming it's not outrageously priced (>$300). If i can get it for under $300, I'll get one.